Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how much a Specialized Epic with Shimano 600 (Ultegra) cost new in 1993 or how much one (brand new) would be worth today?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It is more than I thought. I am pretty sure the bike I am researching is the Epic Comp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No they have not changed much which makes me feel better about buying a new bike.

I was in a bike shop yesterday and asked the owner what he thought would be a good price for the bike now. He said $500 Canadian would be the high side and more realistically in the $300 range.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Epic

stringer said:
Does anybody know how much a Specialized Epic with Shimano 600 (Ultegra) cost new in 1993 or how much one (brand new) would be worth today?
I had a '94 with 105. I think I paid about $1200 back then. I sold it in 2000 for about $450

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought an Epic Comp new in 91' or 92' at wholesale from the shop that I worked at. I think I paid around $900.00USD. It came the new Shimano 600 STI 8speed and it also had specialized's version of drop in style lemond bars. I can't quite remember what it had for wheels; 600 hubs laced to some mavic ceramic coated rim. Maybe Open 4CD's but definately not Open Pros. Funny, I remember all that, but I forgot my mothers birthday this year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If it were in like new condition I think it should be worth $500. Clean but well used $300. In need of repair and cosmetically so-so. $150.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jeffreyg said:
I bought an Epic Comp new in 91' or 92' at wholesale from the shop that I worked at. I think I paid around $900.00USD. It came the new Shimano 600 STI 8speed and it also had specialized's version of drop in style lemond bars. I can't quite remember what it had for wheels; 600 hubs laced to some mavic ceramic coated rim. Maybe Open 4CD's but definately not Open Pros. Funny, I remember all that, but I forgot my mothers birthday this year.

Ha ha ... funny.

Sounds like the same bike ... wheels and all.

I must add that I was speaking to a local shop owner who is familiar with the frame and he says all the talk of cracking tubes is not what actually was happening. He says the paint first used was not able to withstand the the flex where the carbon met the aluminum. So it cracked. People thought it was the carbon and sent the bikes back to Specialized when there was actually nothing wrong with the integrity of the frames.

Found this kind of interesting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A from Il said:
Wow. the prices havent changed much have they?
Their prices have frozen in time.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
stringer said:
I must add that I was speaking to a local shop owner who is familiar with the frame and he says all the talk of cracking tubes is not what actually was happening. He says the paint first used was not able to withstand the the flex where the carbon met the aluminum. So it cracked. People thought it was the carbon and sent the bikes back to Specialized when there was actually nothing wrong with the integrity of the frames.

Found this kind of interesting.
Correct, those tubes generally didn't crack. But on aged frames, sometimes the glue in the lugs gave out. Someone here recently posted an email reply from Specialized in which Specialized recommends the retirement of those old Epic frames. Not sure if that would apply to an unriddden frame or not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wim said:
Correct, those tubes generally didn't crack. But on aged frames, sometimes the glue in the lugs gave out. Someone here recently posted an email reply from Specialized in which Specialized recommends the retirement of those old Epic frames. Not sure if that would apply to an unriddden frame or not.
I see ...

I guess re-gluing is something that cannot be done. In the end it does not matter as it would be someone else buying the bike from my friend.

I joked and said the only buyer would be a Specialized dealer that wants to hang it off their ceiling :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts