Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on friday I went on my first ever road ride, it was about 13 miles lots of Vermont hills and felt pretty good. Today I went on a longer ride 20 miles and did it in 1 hour and 10 minutes, which felt pretty good.:) I dont have any bibs yet its still in the mail so I have just been wearing my rowing spandex and a pair of meshies. By the end of the rides a little discomfort but nothing substantial, will the discomfort become noticably worse into the 2nd hour?
Another quick question when going downhill at high speed do you stand up off the seat or stay sitting?
I am very excited about my new road biking career and look forward to chatting with all of you.
Btw I know this could go in the beginners corner but I like the way it looks in this one! HA

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
Welcome! You'll find the extra padding in the bike shorts to greatly enhance your comfort level. You'll also help your comfort if you spend a little time out of the saddle every 10 minutes or so. It doesn't need to be a lot of time - just enough to restore the circulation. If you can time the out-of-saddle time to coincide with a hill climb, so much the better. But you can also get out of the saddle to accelerate out of a turn or speeding up on the level or into a headwind.

I wouldn't recommend standing when going at high speed down a hill - it could be dangerous. If you encounter an obstacle & need to swerve or brake you could go over the handlebars or loose control. The best position downhill is to drop your hands to the lower bar position (known appropriately as the drops) & put your body as low as possible. You can choose to continue pedaling from this position, but if you are going so fast that your feet can't keep up with the pedals, you should stop pedaling & level your feet. Then you can lift your weight slightly off the saddle without raising up & tuck the front of your body down as much as possible so that the wind slips straight over your back.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.