Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my chain on the way home from work tonight...

That was the first time in over 100,000 miles of riding that I broke a chain.. naturally I didn't have anything to fix it.. I was about 10 miles from home and about 4 miles from an LBS...I had my cell phone but the wife was still at work...

As I'm sitting there pondering what to do, up drives one of those SUV driving soccer moms...." do you need a ride somewhere?"

We throw my bike in the back of her Suburban and she takes me to the LBS.....

As it turned out, her husband cycles...what was amazing was that this lady took a total stranger into her car.. She had 3 young children with her......

She never mentioned her name so here's to you soccer mom...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Way cool!! I figure anyone who stops to help a cyclist, is or loves a cyclist! :) I know I always slow down and ask if a standing cyclist on the side of the ride is okay and always ask if I'm on the bike and passing a stationary cyclist. Pay it forward!!

Luckily only broken one chain while cycling and it was about a mile from home. Walked home in my socks. Walking on speedplays is tough! Not one person passing in a car asked if I was okay!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Wuz she hot?

I broke one about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
edhchoe said:
Any mom who stops for a stranded cyclist is hot in my book.

Does anyone change the chain voluntarily as a preventive maintenance? At what mileage?
Once a year whether it needs it or not, DA cassettes are expensive. I’ve seen one really bad wreck in a sprint due to a chain breaking.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
edhchoe said:
Does anyone change the chain voluntarily as a preventive maintenance? At what mileage?

like when it's worn/stretched/lengthened/whatever? don't tell me you just wait until it breaks...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I broke a chain once....I had just started to pack a chain tool and a Connex Link.
Mostly the chain tool is dead weight. I did help another cyclist once. Not too many people here that stop. No good looking gals for sure, just old red necks in pick up trucks (ever see the movie Deliverance?")

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've only broken one in about 50 years of riding. That was in about 1978. Sorry, but that's not enough to make me carry a chain tool.

·
orlin03
413 Posts
I broke a SRAM 1090R chain this spring at the beginning of a high speed, out of the saddle hill sprint; almost toppled over the bars! I expected to see the connector as the culprit, but it was about four links away. Now I carry two master links and a small bit of chain just in case (my just in case pack gets heavier all the time!).

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Wuz she hot?

I broke one about 10 years ago.
How did she break? She must have been pretty good not to get another one for 10 years! :idea:

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I broke one this winter--- during an ice storm. When you commute, you subject your chain to all sorts of environmental abuse. In my case, the chain was a bit out of alignment from a bent hanger. A bending chain is not particularly strong, and a plate popped off.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I've been lucky and haven't broke one yet. Last spring my buddy broke his chain riding his mountain bike up a set of stairs.. It messed his balance up bad and he ripped his shin up on concrete..

I love quick links.. but I always have my multi with a chain fixer in my bag.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
That's funny, I have broken a bunch of chains (mainly on the mountain bike) It started with the switch to 9-speed stuff, I never broke any 7 or 8 speed chains. Last year, i broke my first road bike chain, 10-speed Ultegra. Fortunately i was at the topof a mountain, and could coast and scooter back to my car.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
waste of money...

edhchoe said:
Any mom who stops for a stranded cyclist is hot in my book.

Chains don't often break from mileage. It's usually a sideplate that pulls off the end of a pin - most often the pin where the ends were joined. If it's at another location, then it's either due to an original manufacturing defect or a shifting mishap that pried the plate off. Any of those could happen at any mileage. The smart thing to do is use a properly fitting connector link, take the chain off occassionally for cleaning and inspect it for damage. One chain breakage in 100,000 miles is not enough to warrant much concern. I'm in my 24th season and never broke one yet. I'm into my 9th season with Campy 10 speed.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have only broke one chain in over 30 years of riding. I had taken a trip up to the Texas Panhandle to go ride over to Palo Duro Canyon, about 12 miles from the town of Canyon. I started in Canyon and rode over to the park. Right past the entrance is a scenic overlook down a slight slope. As I turned around to go back to the road my chain breaks! I was 12 miles from my start and I started walking back but after a short while another cyclist who had been riding inside the park came driving by and gave me a ride up to Amarillo to a bike shop. I rode back down to Canyon after getting the chain fixed. This took place during the winter, while I was riding I could still see some piles of snow on the ground. There was another storm coming in the next day so I had to return home after that. Never did get to see the rest of the park.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.