Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your first ever 100 miles is quite special and my 14 year old lad just completed his yesterday.

He has only ridden a road bike about 4 times previously, usually doing rides of about 90 minutes so I was a little concerned that he wasnt up to the challenge. But he proved me wrong and finished it in 7hours 15 minutes (which included stops).

In case there is anyone out there in a similar situation of facing a first 100miler as a novice, I would offer the following advice (in no order of priority):

1. Do it on a roadbike if possible, or with slim wheels and tyres
2. Eat regularly (we did around every hour) and of course drink throughout
3. Look after points of contacts; wear mitts, cycling shorts (without underpants!) and cycling shoes.
4. Train for it (though my son didnt train enough, what with his main pastime - jazz music)

These are the basics I kept to for my son. I hope this may be useful to some of you and provide hope for anyone you think is facing too steep a challenge.

The Flying Bean

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Congratulations to your son. I did my first century when I was 14 and 24 years later I'm still addicted. I hope he can find good summer jobs and a lucrative profession. His new hobby is probably going to need it. :)

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
mohair_chair said:
He's only ridden a road bike about 4 times previously, usually rides of about 90 minutes, and he did a century? Can he even walk today? This kid could be the next Lance.

I did my first 100 at 14 without anything we would consider real training and we know I'm not LA.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
the flying bean said:
I forgot to mention that he had no aches or pains after the 100, and he's gone to school today, perfectly alright!

I have aches and pain in the morning even if I don't ride...LOL...actually I feel better if I do.

·
Michigoose
821 Posts
Wow...reminds me of when I was 14; except instead of a roadbike, it was a skateboard...and instead of a century, it was a stairset. Kids will try anything.

That's definitely inspiring though, and now I want to go ride a century. I'm 19 and somewhat new to the roadbike world (this is the first time I've taken it seriously). I think I'll try one by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
wow

I did my first century this year...this is also really the first year i've trained for biking. I did it in a little under 6 hours...and i almost exclusevly train for crits...normally my rides arent over 2 hours...but there fast...21 22 mph...Congrats to your son man..

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
joehartley said:
Wow...reminds me of when I was 14; except instead of a roadbike, it was a skateboard...and instead of a century, it was a stairset. Kids will try anything.

That's definitely inspiring though, and now I want to go ride a century. I'm 19 and somewhat new to the roadbike world (this is the first time I've taken it seriously). I think I'll try one by the end of the summer.

Hey as a rider and a dad...I got 5 words of advice for you....RIDE, RIDE, RIDE, RIDE, RIDE.....

I wish I had done a century at 19...I waited until I was 49...did 5 that summer....

GO.....do it......

·
Registered
394 Posts
God for him. Friendly Advice for Dad

Good for your son. Thats quite a ride. On the Father side of things I would be aware of his gearing and how he rides -that will be important to him developing physically to his new hobby. If he has a road bike I would suggest changing the chainrings to 39X50 and a mid-range cluster 14-26 (maybe less depending on the hills where you live). And advise him to spin spin spin. I began riding seriously at his age at that advice was best for me. A bike computer with cadence may also be useful.

A professional fit session will also be a good idea with a local accredited coach. Seat height, stem length, and cleat adjustment.

Too bad I have to wait another 10 years for my boy to grow up!:)

TakmanJapan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.