Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm entereing my first Crit this weekend.
I have a 2008 Specialized tarmac Comp with the stock Specialized Mondo Pro's on.
I got the bike back in September 2007, so the tires sat in the the garage since until April and I have about 400miles on them in the past few weeks.

Should I keep those tires or should I get something else(Michelin Pro 3 perhaps)?
I'm mainly concerned with grip.

Thanks,

Criag

· Registered
380 Posts
There are definitely lighter, grippier, better rolling tires out there, but I don't think I'd worry about it that much for the first crit. Instead, concentrate on getting a feel for the pack dynamics. If it makes you feel better, though, to put on some better rubber, then do it--I wouldn't discount the psychological factor here. If you feel more confident and faster with other tires, you might ride a little better.

As far as Michelins go, I've never had good luck with them--they seem to get cuts too easily and I end up replacing them after less than 1000 miles. YMMV, of course.

· Registered
3,230 Posts
without actively disputing anything my brother says here (including the part about psychologically doing what you need to do to feel good about your situation, which is huge and not to be underestimated or dismissed), you are unlikely to be turning fast enough or leaning hard enough to test these tires (I don't know anything about them specifically, but Specialized makes decent . . . everything). It takes more skill than you're likely to have to turn the bike hard enough for grip to be an issue.
But, do what makes you feel good about going to the start line. I agree with that completely.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Since this is your first crit, it won't make any difference.
You'd be better off getting a 12-23 cassette, for starters. You'll never use an 11, unless you plan on sprinting at 42mph.(starting at 37mph)

· Registered
52 Posts
I would definitely upgrade the tires to Michelin 3 or a good set of Conti's. I have raced my fair share of crits and a good set of tires makes a noticeable difference. You can get a set Michelin 3 from www.probikekit.com for around $65. Just try to stay as near to the front as possible and do not be afraid to move up in the middle of the pack. It is easier than going around the outside the pack in the wind and do not forget it is o.k. to bump and grind a little bit.

· Registered
21,863 Posts
Noticeable difference

45K10 said:
I have raced my fair share of crits and a good set of tires makes a noticeable difference.
Sure, except for the fact that indpendent tests by Bicycle Quarterly and MAVIC both demonstrate that riders cannot tell which wheels are stiffer or tires are faster by the "feel" they get from riding. :)

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I didn't get dropped in my first crit.

Instead, I crashed about 10 feet past the start line because I was looking at my pedal, trying to get my foot in, instead of looking where I'm going, and ran into the guy in front of me who was doing the same thing.

Lesson: when you start, focus on getting in the pedal first.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I lasted 20. But it wassn't cuzz of my tires. Use what ya got; you aren't going to be testing the limits of your bike's nor your tires cornering ability any time soon. And, FWIW-I used Specialized all condition pros. It wasn't their fault. Also, in the last 2 crits that I did and actually didn't get pulled, I was using the same tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.