Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Who designed this thing. The engineer that came up with the cleat mounting system for these pedals should be fired. It is niether a SPD mount, or a Time/Look clone. You have to slotted holes in the cleat, one in the front and one in the back. You have to use the ftront screw hole for the front of the cleat, and the SPD Srew holes for the back. Of course they do not line up!!!! So you are forced t go to the extremes of the slots in the cleat just to get it to line up straight. It does not give you much room for adjustment.

The back of the cleat is raised from the sole of the shoe and has a shim that is supposed to fit between it and the sole in order to provide good surface contact and minimize slipping. This thing is a MAJOR pain to install as it does not seat well and gets moves around until clamped down with considerable torque. If you are lucky, you will get the raised ring to seat in the groove of the cleat. If not, keep trying, you may get lucky.

I have no idea how well the pedals ride yet as I have not had time to try them with all of the effort involved just to install the cleats. Am I missing an adapter or something? This just seems to be a very haphazard design to me. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
are you sure you picked the right holes on your shoe?
that ingenieur you want to fire is most likely Japanese and works for shimano.
their spd-r pedals pd-6601 and -7701 are in my opinion one of the best working pedals ever.
your ritchey is a bad made copy of these.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts