Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you have seen several posts in the past of my boy Max, he finally turned 10 and got his license. Last weekend was his first official race. http://www.sotomemorial.org/

I prepared him to get his arse kicked, but he did well and had a blast. Made the podium 3rd overall 2nd in the omnium. He was pumped.......now he wants to work like a mad man to earn $ for a 700c ride.

Obviouly I am living vicariously through him, we both win!

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
BNA_roadie said:
Some of you have seen several posts in the past of my boy Max, he finally turned 10 and got his license. Last weekend was his first official race. http://www.sotomemorial.org/

I prepared him to get his arse kicked, but he did well and had a blast. Made the podium 3rd overall 2nd in the omnium. He was pumped.......now he wants to work like a mad man to earn $ for a 700c ride.

Obviouly I am living vicariously through him, we both win!
congratulations! woah he has two pairs of sidis... (I promise i didn't notice that).
how long's he been riding?

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
BNA_roadie said:
the other was a closeout at my LBS. Not too many size 40's being sold.
ah. cool. though i'm more interested in him - how long's he been riding, when'd he start road riding seriously vs tooling around, how long's he wanted to race, et cetera?
I think it's awesome that a 10 y/o is interested in biking, personally.
-estone2

·
Armchair Director Sportif
136 Posts
Way to go!

Both of my daughters (6 and 7 years old) have asked to start racing their MTBs and I am hyped about that.

My oldest is about 6 months away from being tall enough to ride one of the youth model roadies and she has already started asking for one! I have started looking into different brands for her to try. So far I have found Trek, Ibex, Redline (cyclocross), and it looks like your son has a Bianchi. Did you find any other brands when you were shopping for his ride?

Thanks for any info ... and tell him good job!

STinGa

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tooling around since birth.......

He's been seriously riding since he was 7. Doing group 40 mile latte rides. Last year he did a local organized ride, 50 miles and avg'd 18. He is an aggressive rider, does ok in group sports, football & baseball, but enjoys being in control. Wonder where he gets that?

Actually, he took some time off the bike and really hadn't ridden since last fall, hence I prepared him for a arse kicking. The boys that beat him, I beleive, were 12 & 14 years old.

Getting him to eat and drink on the bike is a constant battle. Now all we have to learn is tactics and when to sprint out, etc, etc.

The MAIN thing is he WANT'S to ride like the wind, It's not something I'm constantly pushing on him. It's his call, I will support him in whatever sport he enjoys. Beat's sitting in front of a P/C or gaming all day long.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
STinGa said:
Both of my daughters (6 and 7 years old) have asked to start racing their MTBs and I am hyped about that.

My oldest is about 6 months away from being tall enough to ride one of the youth model roadies and she has already started asking for one! I have started looking into different brands for her to try. So far I have found Trek, Ibex, Redline (cyclocross), and it looks like your son has a Bianchi. Did you find any other brands when you were shopping for his ride?

Thanks for any info ... and tell him good job!

STinGa
Kona Jake I think. CX rig, I saw a small one yesterday on this forum.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
BNA_roadie said:
He's been seriously riding since he was 7. Doing group 40 mile latte rides. Last year he did a local organized ride, 50 miles and avg'd 18. He is an aggressive rider, does ok in group sports, football & baseball, but enjoys being in control. Wonder where he gets that?

Actually, he took some time off the bike and really hadn't ridden since last fall, hence I prepared him for a arse kicking. The boys that beat him, I beleive, were 12 & 14 years old.

Getting him to eat and drink on the bike is a constant battle. Now all we have to learn is tactics and when to sprint out, etc, etc.

The MAIN thing is he WANT'S to ride like the wind, It's not something I'm constantly pushing on him. It's his call, I will support him in whatever sport he enjoys. Beat's sitting in front of a P/C or gaming all day long.
HOLY CRAP. He averaged 18? Good god he's fast for a little guy. I do like 21... 17.5 last year... dear god now I'm scared. :p
Drinking... give him tasty stuff. IE gatorade, not accelerade. Cuz acclerade tastes like CRAP. It takes mental resolve to drink taht stuff :p
-estone2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.