Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks! happy to be here and excited to post my 1st metric ride I did yesterday!! I have been riding for maybe 3 years but just around where I live and my max distance that I have ridden was 25 miles, so I was kinda a little bit hesitant to do it but last Friday a friend decided to do it too and its also his 1st long ride so I said " what the heck lets do it!.
My bike is a Giant defy3 (2010) that I decided to upgrade the complete groupo to 105! and man what a difference compared to my Sora with just 8 cassette and triple cranks!. My LBS installed it for me last Friday and i rode it saturday, so it was literally a new bike, I even replaced my tires (tyres) to a 26mm versus the stock that came with my bike. Anyway long story short I made it with a moving time of 5 hours and 15 minutes!. And I really enjoyed it specially the views along the way! man I have lived here in our little town for almost 8 years and never saw all the beauty of the scenery using the back roads. It was AMAZING!!. Some of the climb was really challenging at times but I'm used to climbing around my neighborhood so i did OK, actually the Tuesday before the Saturday Metric I climb a road with at least 2,240 ft elevation actually it was 3,400 ft elevation but from where I lived it was only 2,240ft and I was able to do it in 1 hour and 15 minutes moving time ascent and 12.5 minutes decent!..anyway happy i did it will post pictures of my bike when I'm allowed too..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! It was actually a 50 miles ( actual distance was 54miles) ride or a Century ride, i opted for the 50 miler but since i road my bike to meet my friend it added the other 8 miles to make it 62miles:D.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ohhh, you did it now.

Once you figure out that you can leave your immediate neighborhood on your bike without actually dying, you'll never be satisfied with the same old scenery ever again. You'll be breaking out maps to find new roads, calling up Mapquest at odd moments at work and daydreaming about winding, wooded back roads....

It is a sickness, I tell you.

------------------------

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right I am actually trying to figure out what route I should take to do a solo century ride, nothing serious just enough to try and see how far I can actually go..
Ohhh, you did it now.

Once you figure out that you can leave your immediate neighborhood on your bike without actually dying, you'll never be satisfied with the same old scenery ever again. You'll be breaking out maps to find new roads, calling up Mapquest at odd moments at work and daydreaming about winding, wooded back roads....

It is a sickness, I tell you.

------------------------

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
Well done. The sickness is incurable unfortunately.

Just did my first century miler last weekend. Did it solo and I found the most challenging aspect is to maintain concentration and to keep up the speed. I find myself easing off into a stroll on solo rides very easily.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the kind words! and yes I am already planning a 75 miles route that I can ride next week end. One thing I learned and not to be disgusting or any thing is after my metric ride I had a terrible tummy ache!! and apparently my buddy experience the same thing!, he said he almost called me and asked me about it LOL!, it lasted for a day and apparently that is normal after subjecting my body of a hard work out. Is that right??

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
You're right I am actually trying to figure out what route I should take to do a solo century ride, nothing serious just enough to try and see how far I can actually go..
Go for it. I was doing them every other weekend last summer. Once I have it in my head I am going to do 6 or 7 hours Its not too hard to do it. But I am blessed to live in an area with some really nice canyon roads. So for the most part the suffering is only the first 50 or 60 miles then I can turn around and its all down hill going home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.