Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I insane to be trying that as my first race? On a day like that I'd usually ride my trainer for 45 min's and go sit in a cafe and read the paper. BUT, I already paid my registration and have been planning to use this 22 miles race to get my feet wet...which is sure to happen now :D It's not like I haven't ridden in the rain before or the cold. The question is, am I getting in over my head with this? It looks to be a fairly simple course with only 700ft of climbing or so and not that many corners...the finish seems to be a about a 4 mile straightaway. Too dangerous with CAT 5 people (me included)?

If I skip this one, the next is a 39 miler at the end of March...

What would you wear? If it's not raining hard, I'm thinking bib knickers, long sleeve jersey, and long sleeve Sugoi thermal jersey over that. I have some thin neoprene specialized gloves that aren't bulky and keep your hand warm soaking wet...and I have to pick up some full shoe covers. If it's raining hard, I'd trade out that thermal jersey for the plastic rain coat.

·
Registered
931 Posts
To answer your first sentence...yes. You'd never catch me doing a race in those conditions. Sleep in instead.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Even if it is not raining, if the road's wet the other bikes will be kicking up a lot of spray. So it'll be like its raining. Dirty rain.

The first cat V race of the season is going to be a sketchy crashfest no matter what the weather is like. If the weather is truly awful it may actually be safer since a lot of people will stay home, and the wet might put a damper (sorry) on the usual craziness.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Worst combination..

Cervelo-er said:
Am I insane to be trying that as my first race? On a day like that I'd usually ride my trainer for 45 min's and go sit in a cafe and read the paper. BUT, I already paid my registration and have been planning to use this 22 miles race to get my feet wet...which is sure to happen now :D It's not like I haven't ridden in the rain before or the cold. The question is, am I getting in over my head with this? It looks to be a fairly simple course with only 700ft of climbing or so and not that many corners...the finish seems to be a about a 4 mile straightaway. Too dangerous with CAT 5 people (me included)?

What would you wear? If it's not raining hard, I'm thinking bib knickers, long sleeve jersey, and long sleeve Sugoi thermal jersey over that. I have some thin neoprene specialized gloves that aren't bulky and keep your hand warm soaking wet...and I have to pick up some full shoe covers. If it's raining hard, I'd trade out that thermal jersey for the plastic rain coat.
Worst combination. Cold and rain. Stay home, especially for your first race. It won't be that dangerous most likely, but what is going to happen is there will be a bunch of people who will go out there, and turn semi-hypothermic by the end of it. Stay home, it's not worth it, and might make you not want to race again. Know what I mean??

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Well ya gotta do it sometime

Cervelo-er said:

I noticed most people are saying skip it cause its wet or cold or dangerous. I say go do it you signed up to race and races are run rain or shine so at some point you race in the rain and cold, its sucks that its your first race but really so what its just a race. Personally I would kick myself for not racing beacuse of weather conditions, esp if I alrady paid - but thats just me. If you do race relize your going to get filthy and so is your bike - know it accept it adn stay in that draft and eat road spray.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Race like you train

Cervelo-er said:
...On a day like that I'd usually ride my trainer for 45 min's and go sit in a cafe and read the paper...
If you never train in weather like this then perhaps you should not be racing in it. From your questionable clothing choices I get the impression that you rarely train in the cold/wet and do not know how to dress for your body for an event like this. Perhaps this would not be a good first experience.

If it were me and the drive was not too far I would probably race it but I was out training in the snow last weekend too. As I told my son when he was whining about having to pull my butt into the wind, if he has dreams of going to Belgium he better get used to riding in crappy weather.

·
Registered
896 Posts
if you are waiting for the perfect race day

you might miss some races. so your decision RE this race really should come down to how badly you want to race. I personally hate rain with passion. way more than bitter cold or heat. however, a light drizzle is no big deal. a horrific downpour would keep me insde. so assuming you have showers or misty/pissy conditions:
1. keep your feet dry. get some of those waterproof over-booties
2. I would wear tights, short sleeve jersey, vest, and lighweight windproof jacket, on my hands, I would wear a thin capilene liner glove, with outer glove over that

manage your expectations around this race being a cruise. be extra careful around the corners. if the weather is really crappy, it should keep away some of the worst bike handlers

Keeping up with Junior said:
If you never train in weather like this then perhaps you should not be racing in it. From your questionable clothing choices I get the impression that you rarely train in the cold/wet and do not know how to dress for your body for an event like this. Perhaps this would not be a good first experience.

If it were me and the drive was not too far I would probably race it but I was out training in the snow last weekend too. As I told my son when he was whining about having to pull my butt into the wind, if he has dreams of going to Belgium he better get used to riding in crappy weather.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clothing then.

Keeping up with Junior said:
If you never train in weather like this then perhaps you should not be racing in it. From your questionable clothing choices I get the impression that you rarely train in the cold/wet and do not know how to dress for your body for an event like this.
What would be the recommendations for clothing then?

A little more background...

I grew up riding in the Northwest. I'd do 3-5 hour mountain bike rides all through jr. high and high school whether there was snow on the ground or pouring down rain and mid-30's weather. Difference being, I was a little younger and invincible, and off road, I just piled on the clothes and dealt with it.

I'm not scared of getting cold or wet or dirty. But what would clothing rec's be?

Remember its only a 22 mile race...around an hour, hour and 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
what would wear

Cervelo-er said:

A little more background...

I grew up riding in the Northwest. I'd do 3-5 hour mountain bike rides all through jr. high and high school whether there was snow on the ground or pouring down rain and mid-30's weather. Difference being, I was a little younger and invincible, and off road, I just piled on the clothes and dealt with it.

I'm not scared of getting cold or wet or dirty. But what would clothing rec's be?

Remember its only a 22 mile race...around an hour, hour and 10 minutes.
Cycling cap brim front to keep the water out of my eyes as much as it can, ear band
Clear lens glasses

2 base layers one polypro long sleeve under shirt
2 jerseys or 1 jersy and a wind vest

Bibs and knee warmers (atcually for that amount of cold and that short a race I might go leg warmers)

Cover legs with some sort of oil I would also cover the front of my hips and stomach is the oil was not a hot rub (i.e. something tht could get somewhere that it could cause trouble)

Wear shoe cover perferrable something water proof and thermal socks.

Good gloves something that lets you feel stuff but is still warm my Hincapie mits rock for that reason.

Now the rick I have found works for me with these races is... leave all my top layers in the car while I warm up and warm up in the heavest stuff I have let that get all wet amd cold and switch right before the race that way I don't start water logged.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Experience

Cervelo-er said:
I guess it is somewhat like recommending saddles, everyones body is different. It just seemed there were some missing details that indicated you are not expereinced in training in these conditions. 32and3 had some nice suggestions. Missing items I noticed right away in your original post were wicking base layer, cycling cap with brim, ear protection, wool socks, chest protection such as a vest, knee warmers under knickers, balm or oil for exposed leg, clear glasses.

One race rule is never race on new equipment. Buying new shoe covers right before a race and never training in them is a questionable idea. Will you be able to clip in? Will your feet get too hot? Will your feet get wet from sweating because they are too waterproof? How will the brand you pick perform in the rain - will they just become heavy sponges holding water?

Cervelo-er said:
...long sleeve jersey, and long sleeve Sugoi thermal jersey over that... ...If it's raining hard, I'd trade out that thermal jersey for the plastic rain coat.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster in rain and 31 degrees. A single LS jersey under a plastic rain coat will be soaking wet from sweat which will quickly become frigid because you do not have enough layers to wick or stay warm. Perhaps your experience riding in this kind of weather tells you differently.

Don't mean to discourage you as it is possible to race in this weather. I was really just raising the question to make you think hard about whether this is the best weather to do your first race in. You know your body and motivation best so choose what you think works best for you.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

32and3cross said:
Cycling cap brim front to keep the water out of my eyes as much as it can, ear band
Clear lens glasses

2 base layers one polypro long sleeve under shirt
2 jerseys or 1 jersy and a wind vest

Bibs and knee warmers (atcually for that amount of cold and that short a race I might go leg warmers)

Cover legs with some sort of oil I would also cover the front of my hips and stomach is the oil was not a hot rub (i.e. something tht could get somewhere that it could cause trouble)

Wear shoe cover perferrable something water proof and thermal socks.

Good gloves something that lets you feel stuff but is still warm my Hincapie mits rock for that reason.

Now the rick I have found works for me with these races is... leave all my top layers in the car while I warm up and warm up in the heavest stuff I have let that get all wet amd cold and switch right before the race that way I don't start water logged.

Good recommendations. I do have a Sugoi real tight fitting skull cap that covers my ears that I always wear when it's colder and forgot to include in my original post.

I usually also wear toe warmers, but was going to try a pair of the tight fitting thin booties for the wind/mist and of course wear thinner wool socks inside my Sidis.

I hadn't thought of the thermal/wind blocking layer for the torso chest area. I'll look into that at the shop. I don't mind buying some new stuff since I need it for normal riding anyway.

Good idea on the warmup routine. I'll copy that for sure.

Never used warming oil before though...

At this point I'm leaning towards sucking it up and doing it. Worst that happens is I get in over my head and limp back to the car cold and wet.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Been there, got the t-shirt...

32and3cross said:
I noticed most people are saying skip it cause its wet or cold or dangerous. I say go do it you signed up to race and races are run rain or shine so at some point you race in the rain and cold, its sucks that its your first race but really so what its just a race. Personally I would kick myself for not racing beacuse of weather conditions, esp if I alrady paid - but thats just me. If you do race relize your going to get filthy and so is your bike - know it accept it adn stay in that draft and eat road spray.
Been there, done that, and been to the hospital, twice because of the mere fact I was approaching hypothermia. Did I learn my lesson the first time? Heck no. Did it again. Learned the 2nd time. No matter how much crap I put on my legs, no matter how many layers I wore, when it's raining and in the 30's, you're going to get freezing cold no matter what. Raining and high 40's and 50's, not a problem, hell, I'll ride in some really bad deluges even if I'm just out training, it's not the getting wet, it's the wet and the cold for me. Bad combination. Wet is fine. Cold is fine. Add together, it could actually be dangerous.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i'd say go for it.

keep your feet dry.
no booties? tape plastic over your shoes.

lots of layers

and someone mentioned earlier, have dry layers ready to put on at the race start
but also, dry layers for when you are done. Also, get some hand warmers for afterward. You might be sickly cold and those can be a godsend.

it might even be a fun race to attack on. Numbers will be low, same with attitude. You're gona get soaked no matter were you ride in the pack.

good luck!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
second the dry stuff for after

dfleck said:
i'd say go for it.

keep your feet dry.
no booties? tape plastic over your shoes.

lots of layers

and someone mentioned earlier, have dry layers ready to put on at the race start
but also, dry layers for when you are done. Also, get some hand warmers for afterward. You might be sickly cold and those can be a godsend.

it might even be a fun race to attack on. Numbers will be low, same with attitude. You're gona get soaked no matter were you ride in the pack.

good luck!
in addition i would use those thin shopping bags inside my shoes out side my socks to help keep my feet dry (or dryer) and warm (cut off what sticks out of you shoes).

Also after the race go get out of the wet cold stuff right away there is no talking or cooling down other than riding to your car as soon as the effort is over out of the wet crap. Drink lots after you will not want to drink during the race most likly but you body is gonna need that fuild to recover and fight off and bugs you might have trying to get a foot hold after the race.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Cherry Pie RR?

its sounds like you're describing the OBRA Cherry Pie race N. of Eugene. I did it last year in dry conditions. the race itself is nothing spectacular...a lot of driving from PDX for about 50 minutes on the bike. crash last year in teh first 1/4 mile took out about 5 guys.
I can't imagine doing it in the rain as I'm only guessing most guys won't put fenders on.

if you do it, save yourself for the hill about mile 16...its a killer and will spread the field out. its lane restricted until the last 100 meters. I won't be there this year as I decided to run the Jack Frost ITT next week (equally cold and miserable I'm guessing).

good luck if you go. as a word of warning, the parking lot sucks. all gravel so watch the tires and mud.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is a funny thread in retrospect. It turned out to be one of the most beautiful days in months for the race. A little cold, but bright blue skies and an unusually light wind.

To the OP, you'll get better replies about rainwear on the PNW forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts