Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have my first race this sunday and im wondering what to expect. I will be in the juniors 17-18 year old group with a field of up to a hundred riders though i doubt it will get that big. Since i have never raced any type of bike race before i ws wondering what to expect from the speeds and corners and such. It will be a .6 mile lap for 30 in plus 3 laps i believe. Ive checked out the course and their are no hills whatsoever and no corners that are past 90 degrees. Also what should i do in the days leading up to the race (i cant do anything on the bike because i run but im wondering should i try to do some speed the day before or just take the day off? Thanks

· Registered
3 Posts
Maybe an easy spin the day before. In my most recent Jr. race in was a hilly crit and wa averaged around 21.5 mph so translate that to the flats and you have maybe 23 mph for a half hour long race. Not much else to suggest...don't be ashamed if you get dropped I suppose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i just got back from my first race. Finished 13 out of a 40 some odd field. The average pace ended up being up almost 26 with a lot of time spent at 27-28 for the first mile or two. Well first things first, i decided to make sure my bike had the correct gearing about and hour before the race started and realized that i had one gear too big so i go over to the mechanic and he tells me the limit screw is already pushed in to the max, but he can adjust the cable tension so that i cant shift up. So as hes doing this he tells me that im probally not going to be able to shift down very easily(like it may not at all). I tell him what am going to do its either that or i dont race. So he adjusts it, little do i know that in a juniors race you really dont shift out of your top two gears so it wasnt that much of a problem.)
It started out at a nice pace, im thinking man this wont be so hard, 50 yards later im hanging on for dear life trying to just stay with the pack. Kept up like 29 for two laps or so and then it settled back down to 24 -26 for most of the rest of the race. (It wasnt the pace that killed me it was the acceleration right out of the turns at at the end of the laps for the individual lap prizes) After the group slowed down i got a chance to look around and realized that the field was considerably smaller, probally down to 30 or so, the other fifteen got dropped and were lapped later in the race. I spent the next 10 min or so near the middle of the pack just trying to get accustomed to the speed and accelerations and sitting in. About half way through the race a rider went down just ahead of me and took out 1 other, nothing serious just bad enough for them to not be able to finsih the race, cuts and road rash. As the race went on the riders realized that in corner 3 their was water on the outside and would continue to cut it sharper and sharper forcing the person on the inside to almost bump against the curb, which happened to me a few times until i finally just decided it was safer to go through the water than try to hold the inside. On the second to last lap another group goes down taking out 5 riders this time again right in front of me. I managed to swerve around them but it was so close that one of the riders falling brushed against me as he was going down, defenatly woke me up. Final lap of the race the pack takes off and again im jsut trying to do everything i can to hold a wheel and i see the finish line, i forget about everything else and just try to sprint for my life pass quite a few others who just didnt have anyhting left and pretty much gave up. Came across 13th which i believe isnt to shabby for my first race considering i had bronchitis all week. Definatly looking forward to many more. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i ride on sundays with a group, a fst 30-35 miles and i try to get on the trainer for 30min or so once or twice a week but its getting harder since i have cross country training right now from two till five so im pretty much dead after i get home and finish homework. Next year im hoping my coach will let me take a coupla months off after season before track and field so i can really get some miles in.... hopefully

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.