Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been racing here in Oregon (OBRA) as a 3. I am hoping to go up to Washington and participate in a couple of stage races. I see from their website that they race under USCF licenses, so I would need to get one of those. My question is: does my OBRA classification transfer over to USCF (so that I can race as a 3), or do I have to register as a 5? I would assume there is some sort accomodation here, at least in the non-pro categories. I know when riders come to Oregon from other states, they don't have to start as 5's. Thanks!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,566 Posts
The USCF ignores any and all breakaway organizations. It doesn't matter if you get a full USCF license or a "one day", you still will be a 5. On the other hand, you could come to the midwest and race in an ABR race and use your OBRA license and race as a 3, without any extra cost.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
dawgcatching said:
I have been racing here in Oregon (OBRA) as a 3. I am hoping to go up to Washington and participate in a couple of stage races. I see from their website that they race under USCF licenses, so I would need to get one of those. My question is: does my OBRA classification transfer over to USCF (so that I can race as a 3), or do I have to register as a 5? I would assume there is some sort accomodation here, at least in the non-pro categories. I know when riders come to Oregon from other states, they don't have to start as 5's. Thanks!
Apply for your license on line and send in a resume with it and they may grant the 'upgrade'. Also contact your local USCF rep and let him/her know what you are trying to do. He may give you a better way - or not. - TF

EDIT: If you are thinking of a one-day, I believe that it is (by deffinition) a Cat5. - TF

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
The USCF ignores any and all breakaway organizations. It doesn't matter if you get a full USCF license or a "one day", you still will be a 5. On the other hand, you could come to the midwest and race in an ABR race and use your OBRA license and race as a 3, without any extra cost.
While that used to be true, for the last year or two, at the discretion of the regional rep, USCF has recognized races from other organizations.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I had no problem with reciprocity through USCF from my ACA liscense
its in their best intrest to encourage riders to race in their catagories.

USCF has virtualy no presence in colorado. The same is probably true in ORBA territory. I think they are smart enough to realize a 3 won't race if you stick them in with the 5s

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
:(

Its relatiavely easy to cat up out of 5 without the suggested 10 mass starts (I think). Just post your racing resume after at least 1 cat5 race (or even 0!) and request an upgrade. Just make sure you win!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.