Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Who is the biggest surprise of the first week.

• Kim Kirchen

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Christian Vande Velde

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Stefan Schumacher

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Damiano Cunego

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Stijn Devolder

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Manuel Beltran

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.2%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which rider has been the biggest surprise in the first week, good, bad or absurd.

Kim Kirchen was good last year, but he has been super consistent: Yellow and Green.

Christian Vande Velde: Did anyone really expect him to be top 5.

Alejandro Valverde seemed on form coming in but lost valuable time in the TT.

Stefan Schumacher takes a surprise TT win and the Yellow.

Damiano Cunego can't seem to make it up the hills with the leaders.

Stijn Devolder. He talked about it, but did anyone think he'd be there day after day.

Manuel Beltran : Doper

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Doping was going to happen one way or another -- no surprise another former USPS 37yr old was the one.

Valverde, Kirchen, Devolder all expected. Same with Cunego, methinks.

I saw VandeVelde romp a breakaway at the Tour of Elk Grove, so no surprise he's kicking ass here, too. He's also been a really consistent and good rider...but not the best.

Schumacher because he should never have taken that TT by so much time. Shocked even the peloton.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Valverde, hes not as close to the yellow jersey as we expected and judging from the effort we all knew he was putting into his ITT, pre-tour, and having won the Dauphine Libere (sp?) i was expecting more from him.

I agree with 'iliveonnitro' i dont think any one in the TdF was expecting Schumacher to destroy the field on the TT, but for one reason or another i just cant get the thought out of my mind that perhaps he cheated that stage someway or another, there is no way any rider at all could pull such a huge gap, remember these are the best of the best and to pull 33s on Cancellera or even 18 or so to Evans is pretty much unthinkable, i dont think thats a legit time to be honest.
Sue me for my thoughts, but thats my 2 cents (sorry for bringing doping up)

·
Registered
650 Posts
TheDon said:
I think Cancellera has been the biggest surprise because he hasn't gotten a stage or come close yet.
Cancellera has been in top form since milan and even stomping form at toc, i think he may be just off form (read "just) he tried to attack late in a stage but was realed in by the sprinters teams, its tuff to ride at about 70km + for a km or so. he has proven he can do it but these guys are on to him and will mark his attacks.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
The biggest surprise to me is that after 1 week, a non-sprinter is leading the green jersey competition. There aren't many sprint stages left, so is it possible that a sprinter will not win the green jersey (some might also abandon to get ready for the Olympic RR)?

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
For me, it was Schumacher by a mile. Didn't just win, but killed everyone else. That came out of nowhere. Imagine a week before the Tour someone telling you this was going to happen. Everything else on the list, I would say I could see it.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I don't think there has been anything that's super revealing yet.

McEwen essentially MIA, not really surprising. Valverde losing some time in a TT...not surprising. Vandevelde and Kirchen being where they are...not totally surprising as we haven't had a wicked mountain stage yet.

Shumacher winning like he did might be it, since we have to pick something.

Tuesday is when we should be having this conversation!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.