Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported in an earlier post, I have been searching for a worthwhile hitch rack.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=58193

I ordered the 1UP, and it arrived yesterday. This thing is beautiful. (Can a bike rack be art?)

I haven't used it yet, (probably tonight) and will provide a review afterwards, but I can tell you already that every part of this rack is WELL thought ought and purposeful.

The device weighs approx 40 lbs. It takes 2 minutes to install on the car rack, and 30 seconds to load a bike.

I'll take some pics and post a full review.

http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great rack!

hitch rack that is. Yup, I've owned my for over a year now and completely delighted with it. I never saw your original thread, and would have given my opinion then. Alot of people will try to give you grief over the price, just smile at them because we know it was worth it.

One thing it doesn't do well is hold a roadbike that has a flat tire. The bike itself is secure, but you risk damaging the tire when it's deflated. Fix the flat before mounting on this rack. Once adjusted for my bike, takes less than 10 secs to load/unload.

Art? Yes, I also think it's aesthetically pleasing.

When tightening the wheel support arms, I push in the arm to compress the tire and roll the adjuster knobs along my forefinger instead of twisting (like they instruct on the website). Twisting takes a few seconds longer. I cut my finger on a sharp edge, so be careful. Not bad, similar to a bad paper cut. I've since filed down any sharp edges. Other than that minor improvement, the rack is perfect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
first post here...but I agree...great rack. Had mine for a month. Cut my thumb on the sharp edge as well...couldn't figure out where all the blood was coming from at first. Just like you described, a bad (very bad) paper cut. I'll try filing down those edges. It's amazing how fast this rack is to attach/detach and load/unload bikes. I never had the "pleasure" of using any other racks.

Regarding flat tires...maybe use a folded up rag (t-shirt, towel, something soft) to put between the arm and the flat tire.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
How about locking? Hitch to receiver? Hitch bolted together - can be removed with just a couple of adjustable wrenches? Bike to hitch? - TF

·
Registered
28 Posts
Locking the rack to receiver is illustrated on their web page and is simple to use and effective. If you are going to be out all day and don't trust leaving the rack on the vehicle, you can put a cable on it or I would take it off, fold it, and throw it in my car/truck. I'm not worried about someone taking it apart...anything can be vandelized. Most people are honest. But being able to fold it and set it in the car is convenient. The weight I was told is 35 lbs...w/o additional trays. Locking the bikes to the rack can be accomplished with a cable, but there is no integrated cable as some of the Thules have.

A bigger negative for some might be that if your bike has fenders, (or maybe some racks)...you'd need to remove them because there is no obvious work-around for this kind of rack. It isn't the best solution for everyone...but none is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
And it is...

The best bike rack ever made. Mine came with the edges smooth around that knob and I already learned the rolling finger trick. It takes me seven seconds to rack my bike. I got ready so fast for the ride last night that I was SURE that I was forgetting something...I spend more time making sure I had all that I needed.

It takes 1 minute to load the rack on the car, and seven seconds to load/unload a bike.

Yes, this rack won't work well with a bike with fenders or a flat. Good points. I will weigh it tonight and report back.

Everything about is it well thought out. I think there are some German's working at that company in Janesville, WI. :) The hitch button works smooth, and then there is an expansion crank (with tool) to secure the connector so your rack doesn't wobble. It costs more than other racks and I am writing this to inform you that you are getting what you pay for. This rack is worth the money.

As for the locking questions, you can run a cable lock through your bikes and the rack and lock them to the hitch. Another poster posted a pic of that below.

The con's are:
It's not a swing-away, but the bikes load so fast, that you don't need it.
Won't work with Fender bikes.

As I gain experience with this, I'll return and post more. Btw, this site needs a review section for racks, and the ability for the users to add items.

Here are the pics, as promised.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Last two pics...

Oh, and I LOVE the fact that it is NOT black. I live in AZ (as indicated by the seven Polar bottles, going for a 50 mile ride looping hills from the car) and black anything that you're going to touch is hell in the summer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think there are many rack thieves out there, but

TurboTurtle said:
How about locking? Hitch to receiver? Hitch bolted together - can be removed with just a couple of adjustable wrenches? Bike to hitch? - TF
I've come up with this solution. Although, I don't really see the point in stealing the trays if you can't take the hitch mount with it. If I'm walking away from my bike for a few mins to grab a bite, then I lock the bike with another cable. Would you leave your $3000-5000 bike on any rack for an extended period of time?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sweet setup

you have Timmons. I always thought that particular car would make a decent cycling vehicle.

BTW... can you open your hatch with the road bike on the far tray? On my Element I'm able to open the tailgate and hatch, with my road bike on the far tray, without tilting the tray down. Can't do the same trick with the mtb (bars are too wide)

New house, new car, new rack. maybe a new bike? Did someone get a bonus?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks...

I am a Tacoma boy at heart and I LOVE the new Tacomas. as you can probably tell by the size of my bike, (which as indicated by the amount of seat post showing, is still not big enough) that I'm tall, 6'6" and room in the vehicle for me is priority. The new Tacoma's fit me great, but they hardly fit in the garage. They do, but not like the old ones. I had a 99, but I hardly fit in it myself.

Anyway, we decided on a Murano. We have three dogs that we like to take camping, and hiking and it's great for that. On top of that, the Murano rides smoother (Not a truck) gets better mileage, and is shorter and easier to park (in the garage.) I can actually park the Murano with the rack and bikes on it.

The Tacoma's hold their value better. I got the Murano used so though, so I'm not concerned about that.

I should try your "bike on the outside rack" to see if I can still open the hatch. It was close to it on the inside as the hatch sweeps up more than it does out. Good thinking. The house isn't new, the car is, but it's used (pretty much a straight trade), the bike isn't new either, but the rack is! As for new bikes, I have been dreaming of the Colnago C-50 ever since I found out that they make them in a 65 cm. It'll be a while before that happens... probably longer than I want to admit. :)

Here are the aforementioned dogs. (We used to have a MINI, (two actually) and the dogs didn't fit so well.) :) (Nelson, the Rottie weighs 120 pounds.) Hence the Murano.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did they change the design of the rack? I have the 2 inch 2 tray rack and it looks very different from the pictures Timmons posted back in 2006, Mine is like the pictures in francois's review which was purchased 2 years ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.