Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a 53/39 on a Truvativ Rouleur carbon crankset, 11-23 10 spd cassette. I've had problems with the front derailleur, mostly stemming from the fd cable u-turn deal on the back of the seat tube (apologies for not knowing the terminology), so I'm thinking I just want to get rid of it. I ride a single speed mtb and have a single speed road bike, so I like the idea of having fewer gears anyway.

A 46 tooth ring married to an 11-27 would give me the closest replication of my current setup, but I can't seem to find a 46t chainring that isn't ramped and pinned and is 10 speed compatible, and I can't find an 11-27 (only 12-27). Maybe a dura ace rear derailleur doesn't have a long enough cage for that range? Do these parts exist?

I realize that 44t and 11-26 is probably "better," but I like my current gearing because I have a hilly commute and like the option of pedaling downhill. I've raced with my current setup and, though it's not ideal, I can crank it out, ugly.

Also, I will need some sort of chainline protection: chain guard, something on the inside, won't I?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I got a chainring called a "rocket ring" that seems to work fine, you also need some sort of chain guard in the outer position, when I ran a single ring I just set the front derailer in a lower position to assit in keeping the chain on. I ended up using a 44 single ring which was nice, but i switched back to a 39-44 so I'd have a gear for steep hills with the expectation that I'd mostly race in the 44, but the 39 is nice for training.

Why not fix the pulley setup? They are common and generally work fine for people

·
Registered
217 Posts
It looks like Salsa makes a 45t. For my singlering setup I use a Salsa Crossing Gueard protecter on the outside, chainring installed on the inside and an N Gear Jump Stop on the frame. I have raced two years with this setup, and no problems. As for the RD, I use a Shimano Ultegra with a 12-26 cassette. It sounds like this is to be used for commuting, but if you plan to race a 46t chainring is too big. I run a 42t chainring, which seems to be about the norm.

http://www.speedgoat.com/productB.asp?part=43747&cat=30&brand=216

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dyg2001 said:
The chainring does not have to be "10 speed."
Maybe this is true, but when searching for a chainring, I came across a Surly that says it's compatible with 7,8, and 9 speed chains:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CG408A26-Surly+Stainless+Steel+Chainring.aspx

so, just being silly, I mistook it for an accurate description. I then assumed that single speed chainrings must be a bit wider than your normal chainring. If all chainrings are compatible with 10 speed chains, then mine is not much of a conundrum.

My request for data RE: chainrings did not mean I was equally lacking in trivial knowledge about propulsion; I commute in the WV hills on long grades, mostly around 8%, some exceeding 12%, where 36 mph is. . .well, slow. An 11-27 would be nice, but I guess it's not possible.

I am taking "Search" and "pedal faster" to heart, as I think those gems can do nothing but improve my current lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.