Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"We are deeply saddened to share that a tragic accident occurred in lonia County today involving cyclists participating in the Make-A-Wish Michigan 35th Annual Wish-A-Mile (WAM) Bicycle Tour. Two riders were killed, and three were injured after being struck by a car. Our staff and the entire Make-A-Wish family are heartbroken and offer our deepest sympathy for the riders involved, their loved ones, and all members of the WAM community during this difficult time. We are thankful to the first responders who arrived immediately to save lives. We are supporting our riders, staff, and volunteers with grief counseling and assisting with the law enforcement investigation. The third day of our WAM 300 as well as our one-day WAM 50 and WAM Jr. scheduled for Sunday, July 31 have been canceled out of respect for the families."
Echos of this incident ring around this story...group ride, intoxicated driver, semi-rural area. What strikes me is that I'm familiar with both areas, and on the infrequent occasions that I get out with a group ride, we're riding similar roads with similar drivers and traffic patterns.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
HSapiens driving, at 11:15 in the morning? What could go wrong? It's only going to get worse with the legalization of driving without enforcing the laws that regulate driving.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since CoVid began, Michigan police have begun de-emphasizing traffic stops. Flagrant traffic violations have led to astronomical increases in accidents and deaths since 2020. Add in a little ******* culture (per a post in The Lounge a number of years back, I'm "too city" to understand drunk driving culture), and...well, this is what worries me about cycling these past few years. To my knowledge, legalized cannabis in Michigan hasn't been a factor in the uptick in traffic incidents, it's the lack of preventative law enforcement.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,566 Posts
TBH, I would trust someone behind the wheel on weed before I would trust someone behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Well talking on your phone, speeding, running red lights, and running over bikers, etc are illegal also. Welcome to living with HS's.
Is lying illegal, cause it's kinda what HS's are all about.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I make deliveries all day in on well trveled city roads.

The new “thing” I am observing……LEFT on RED. Sure there are some obscure exceptions to the rule somewhere and they are usually posted so the unusual exception to no left on red for vehicles is obvious. I think I have seen this once in years of driving all over the U. S.

I feel left on red, NOT posted, is not safe.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Exactly. Litmus test-You would likely object if your surgeon/lawyer/accountant were drunk while providing services for you. Would you feel the same if they were stoned? If not, then why would driving a car by you while you're cycling be any different?
Not only that, but when they run over you and kill or seriously injure you because they are under the influence, the fact that they were high instead of drunk isn't going to make it feel any better for your and/or your family.

·
Registered
21,764 Posts
I make deliveries all day in on well trveled city roads.

The new “thing” I am observing……LEFT on RED. Sure there are some obscure exceptions to the rule somewhere and they are usually posted so the unusual exception to no left on red for vehicles is obvious. I think I have seen this once in years of driving all over the U. S.

I feel left on red, NOT posted, is not safe.
Left on red in Michigan is legal onto a one-way. This is comparable to right on red in that you are turning in the direction of flowing traffic and not crossing lanes to do it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The only 'good' thing about this incident is that being drunk makes prosecution a slam-dunk and the driver will pay. More often, a drunk will drive home and hope they're sobered up before the law finds them, then pleads they though they'd hit a deer.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
The only 'good' thing about this incident is that being drunk makes prosecution a slam-dunk and the driver will pay. More often, a drunk will drive home and hope they're sobered up before the law finds them, then pleads they though they'd hit a deer.
Actually, the trick is to flee the scene, get home quickly, and pop a beer or wine. When the police arrive you can say you were drinking at home. All DUI evidence is tossed out the window at that point. This is a common tactic. Like I said earlier; it's cheaper ticket-wise, and has less impact on your driving or arrest record, if you're guilty of fleeing the scene vs. DUI.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts