Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been back on the bike since late Feb and have about 800 miles down so far. Not one flat until today. Then a second one a few minutes later. Luckily I had a third CO2 or I would have been walking about 10 miles.

Just wanted to share.

Anyone ever been stranded?

Chive On,
Brandon

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, I had 3 flats within a couple miles, had to wait for my friend to ride back to his truck then come pick me up. I was lucky as at least it was a nice day! I could have still used patches but at that point I was to pi$$ed to ride any more.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
Yep. Ran over an object that sliced both my tires open so I was done for the day. I don't carry spare tires with me. I also broke a spoke and the whole wheel went out of true, no more low spoke count heels for me, it's 28 or higher nowadays. I've also had the derailleur jam into the rear wheel and end my ride. I could go on, but that's what over 30 years of cycling gets you I guess.

·
Registered
23,039 Posts
Did you analyze your tire, rim, and tube to find the cause of the flats? Two flats in two miles wouldn't likely be by chance. I'd bet (with 90% certainty) that the 2nd flat was your fault. Most likely either something in the tire you didn't catch or you damaged the tube installing it.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. Two flats on one ride and hadn't had a flat in a few thousand miles. First flat was from a patched tube where the patch started coming off. Simple diagnoisis there.
Second flat was about 8mi later. Thoroughly inspected tire, rim, and tube but couldn't find the cause. I had to really pump up the tube to find the leak. It was on the side of the tube. So it wasn't caused by the tire or rim. Then I remembered I think I pinched the tube with a tire lever when putting it on. That's what I get for trying to rush.
Note to self: Next time, save yourself some time and take your time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had to call for someone to pick me up twice...on the same ride. I was mountain biking and had a light XC wheelset and broke a spoke in the front wheel. I got a ride home because I had biked to the trails, changed my front wheel and went back out and then broke a chain. Second ride required. After that, I always carry a chain tool!.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you analyze your tire, rim, and tube to find the cause of the flats? Two flats in two miles wouldn't likely be by chance. I'd bet (with 90% certainty) that the 2nd flat was your fault. Most likely either something in the tire you didn't catch or you damaged the tube installing it.

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. Two flats on one ride and hadn't had a flat in a few thousand miles. First flat was from a patched tube where the patch started coming off. Simple diagnoisis there.
Second flat was about 8mi later. Thoroughly inspected tire, rim, and tube but couldn't find the cause. I had to really pump up the tube to find the leak. It was on the side of the tube. So it wasn't caused by the tire or rim. Then I remembered I think I pinched the tube with a tire lever when putting it on. That's what I get for trying to rush.
Note to self: Next time, save yourself some time and take your time.
Yeah both times they were goat heads. I was riding some hills yesterday and unfortunately they are all over up there. I was lucky to have found the second hole in the tube without having to use a CO2 to locate it. After the ride I had to go my LBS and replenish.

·
Sluggo
200 Posts
Yep. Got two flats on the front and the rear tires in a span of 50 yards. Fixed the one in back, took off and heard the front one hiss and deflate. Luckily, I had two tubes. Otherwise, I might still be out there.

Been stranded too. Thank goodness for cell phones and a great wife.

·
Registered
239 Posts
At the end of last summer a chunk of concrete flattened both tires about seven miles out. Fortunately I had a cell phone and was able to call for a ride. Earlier that year I had the front tire go crooked at almost the same location as the flats. That was a seven mile walk back to my car.
Now I carry two extra tubes, two tire levers and a mini pump.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
... locally, I blame the relatively whimpy April showers that are usually strong enuff and frequent enuff to wash most of the winter's crap to the curb...

Too many to accurately recall, but a couple weeks ago I must have had about 8 in a week (multiple bikes, multiple tires, multiple weather conditions including a drizzly rain (also a contributing factor since everything ever created to poke a hole through a tire will stick to said on wet crap infested roads) that made patching a joke and ended with a mile walk home... only to get another bike and... you guessed it... pffffffffffssst within a mile of the house).

What cycling god do I need to pray to, or who do I have to pay off?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.