Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I messed up and cut a new KMC a touch short. I used two master links to lengthen the chain and it seems to work fine in the stand. Before I head out on the road and puts some power into it I want to make sure there is something I'm not considering. Thoughts?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
"cut"?

do you have a chain tool?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Two links next to each other? Bad idea.

Opposite parts of the chain? Tolerable I guess.
I don't think OP could go on opposite sides of the chain.

I can't picture any way other than quick-link, harvested inner link, quick-link. The quick-link things are outer links. They don't add any length themselves. So, OP would have to use two quick-links and another length of chain with end(s) having an inner link(s) between the two quick-links.

I am not sure I would trust two quick links next to each other. Probably more concerned about crap shifts/dropped chains than chain failure. I would say some bad words, drink a beer, and order a new chain. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think OP could go on opposite sides of the chain.

I can't picture any way other than quick-link, harvested inner link, quick-link. The quick-link things are outer links. They don't add any length themselves. So, OP would have to use two quick-links and another length of chain with end(s) having an inner link(s) between the two quick-links.

I am not sure I would trust two quick links next to each other. Probably more concerned about crap shifts/dropped chains than chain failure. I would say some bad words, drink a beer, and order a new chain. YMMV.
Yeah I wasn't super clear. I used an inner link to separate (extend) the chain with a master link on either side. Not sure if you all can see but, here it is. Will try it out today...
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Mode of transport Spoke

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
Yeah I wasn't super clear. I used an inner link to separate (extend) the chain with a master link on either side. Not sure if you all can see but, here it is. Will try it out today...
View attachment 316764
Safety wise, no problem. Two quick links isn't any weaker than one.
But as others have mentioned, I wouldn't put them next to each other. Move them to different parts of the chain. Putting them next to each other might give you shifting problems. Especially with the shift ramps on the crank.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
But as others have mentioned, I wouldn't put them next to each other. Move them to different parts of the chain. Putting them next to each other might give you shifting problems. Especially with the shift ramps on the crank.
How exactly would OP move the links to different parts of the chain?

OP has a chain that is a link too short and probably 3-5 extra chain links.

The largest possible distance between the two quick links is the length of the leftover short part of the chain (3-5 links) that remained after breaking the original chain.

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
How exactly would OP move the links to different parts of the chain?

OP has a chain that is a link too short and probably 3-5 extra chain links.

The largest possible distance between the two quick links is the length of the leftover short part of the chain (3-5 links) that remained after breaking the original chain.
Depends how he sized it. If using the small-small method, there should be enough links to break the chain elsewhere and still have enough chain length.
If not, moving the quick link 3-5 links would be a different part of the chain and not right next to each other.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Depends how he sized it. If using the small-small method, there should be enough links to break the chain elsewhere and still have enough chain length.
If not, moving the quick link 3-5 links would be a different part of the chain and not right next to each other.
Breaking the chain elsewhere - equals three quick links (e.g. 50 links, quick link, 50 links, quick link, 3 links, quick link) and no solution - think about it.

Regardless of the chain sizing method OP improperly used, one will not have much more than 3-5 links left over.

You are correct, 3-5 links is a different part of the chain. You win. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,729 Posts
Breaking the chain elsewhere - equals three quick links (e.g. 50 links, quick link, 50 links, quick link, 3 links, quick link) and no solution - think about it.
No it doesn't. Remove the 2nd quick and reconnect the chain with 1 quick link. Break the chain elsewhere and put the 2nd quick link there. The chain will be 2 links shorter. And like I said, if he used the small-small method he'd still have enough chain.

You are correct, 3-5 links is a different part of the chain. You win.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
No it doesn't. Remove the 2nd quick and reconnect the chain with 1 quick link. Break the chain elsewhere and put the 2nd quick link there. The chain will be 2 links shorter. And like I said, if he used the small-small method he'd still have enough chain.
You realize your "solution" just results in a chain that is too short, but has 2 quick links. A quick link does not add length.

If op would have properly sized his chain, there would not be an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Generally try to have a minimum of 6 unbroken links of the original chain is the rule I've always been told. Some voodoo regarding shifting performance while under high loads.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well hell...Two hours on it today as pictured above. I can not hear, feel or notice any performance difference as opposed to one master. Some small hills yielded moderate power for maybe 30 seconds and a lot of stop and starts at light etc...

Not saying it's ok or I will keep it. But I was expecting to at least feel and hear something obvious.

·
Done
4,509 Posts
Well hell...Two hours on it today as pictured above. I can not hear, feel or notice any performance difference as opposed to one master. Some small hills yielded moderate power for maybe 30 seconds and a lot of stop and starts at light etc...

Not saying it's ok or I will keep it. But I was expecting to at least feel and hear something obvious.
I'll fess up - I've done this.

Yes, it is bush league. But unless it skips on the jockey wheels or shifts bad (and it normally won't if you have properly sized master links), then I would not worry about it. Strength is not the issue.

EDIT: I would NOT do this if I was rejoining the chain with a pin instead of a master link. I'd eat the cost of a chain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts