Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 1978 Peugot:

1st question:
Model number is Y(or X I can't tell) 903 33796 a08. It has "sport" on the top tube. Peugot brand brakes and rear deraileur...no fancy lugs, no braze ons. It has a "Peugot 103" on the down tube. Ava quill stem and bar. cotter cranks.

What model is this?

2nd question:
Does it have 126mm rear hub spacing?

Thanks

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
probably a U-08, basic entry level bike. at that age it's going to be a 120mm rear end, but it would be a piece of cake to cold set it to 126mm or even 130mm if desired. just make to realign the dropouts after you spread it.

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More questions

supercorsa said:
probably a U-08, basic entry level bike. at that age it's going to be a 120mm rear end, but it would be a piece of cake to cold set it to 126mm or even 130mm if desired. just make to realign the dropouts after you spread it.
Am I or my LBS able to cold set the rear end?
I guess since it is a 5 cog cassette it is a 120mm, huh? I am going to convert it to a fixed/freewheel. Would I better off going to the 130 or would it be better to stay at 120?

It says A-08 I guess it's not much difference from U-08?

Will it be hard to find a better set of cranks or crankset such as aluminum to drop some weight?

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
dagger said:
Is this possible if I can adjust my brakes?
Very possible if the bike has centerpulls, which tend to have longer reach and more variability. Less likely if the bike has sidepulls, but still possible if the bike came with long reach sidepulls. If the brakes are too short, you can look for long reach brakes on eBay, or buy new ones from the Rivendell webalog, http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/brakes/, Nashbar (www.nashbar.com) when they have their ~$30 long reach sidepulls in stock (I just checked. They don't have them at this moment), or Paul Components if you have a lot of money you want to spend.

If you go the used brake route, I highly recommend Shimano Tourney centerpulls. They have monstrous stopping power, especially when you use a modern brake shoe. Galli long reach sidepulls are another good option if you can find them, but make sure they are really LONG reach, because some folks list the "normal" reach Galli sidepulls as long reach.

Good luck!

- FBB

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
dagger said:
Am I or my LBS able to cold set the rear end?
I guess since it is a 5 cog cassette it is a 120mm, huh? I am going to convert it to a fixed/freewheel. Would I better off going to the 130 or would it be better to stay at 120?

It says A-08 I guess it's not much difference from U-08?

Will it be hard to find a better set of cranks or crankset such as aluminum to drop some weight?
You probably should go to a good LBS to cold set the frame so they can align it properly. If you do it yourself, you might pull one side further than the other. That said, I did quite a few cold sets to my frames before I knew about aligning, and they seemed to generally run fine after I tweaked 'em.

You should be a bit careful about replacing components on an old Peugeot. I'm not very familiar with the different frame designations (A-08 vs. U-08), but I do know that many of the older Peugeots came with French threaded bottom brackets, undersized seat tubes, non-standard derailleur hanger threading, etc. Talk to someone who really knows Peugeots before you proceed. You might want to go to

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

and search on "Peugeot." Sheldon is likely to have a wealth of information on his site.

Good luck!

- FBB

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
dagger said:
Should I just stay at 120mm in the rear?
Most definitely. Just use your old hub. I've logged thousands of miles on wheels with a fixed cog screwed onto a freewheel hub with no lockring. If you want to get fancy, you could get the purpose-built Kogswell fixie hubs that are dual-threaded:

http://www.kogswell.com/index.html

- FBB

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
dagger said:

an old French Cottered crank on an old "gaspipe" Peugeot will be French threaded. That means they are scarce, and probably cost more than you have planned.

Frankly, what you have there is a $20 bike if it's in average condition, maybe $50 if "perfect", and it weighs a ton. How much are you willing to spend on it???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.