Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody who uses C Record Cranksets, know what that tool is called or model no.??

As Campagnolo don't make them anymore, finding them really hard to find.

A bike shop told me to get a spoke and file down to the same diameter then bend to a shape of a U.

I don't find it stiff a enough to turn the bolts on the crankset.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Applesauce said:
Won't any properly sized pin-spanner work? Maybe I'm missing something... Are the holes really small, or something?
Look everywhere for this tool. Nothing dated as from this year tools fits these holes on C Record Crankset. The holes are either too small to fit any 2 pin tool.....

·
Registered
553 Posts
toomanybikes said:
You don't need the pin spanner at all.

7MM hex key on a socket wrench will back the bolt out, every time.
how so? as i see it...that'll get the bolt out of the spindle (and the arm off), but won't get the dustcover/bolt out of the arm. would love to know the trick!

OP...you've gotten mostly good advice here. threads are reversed. holes are tiny. and most likely, the dustcover is seized from sweat/pressure (if you've removed the arms more than once or twice).

lockring pliers are about the best makeshift tool. the real deal can be had here:
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2452-00'

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toomanybikes said:
You don't need the pin spanner at all.

7MM hex key on a socket wrench will back the bolt out, every time.
I tryed that... as a result, it end up in two pieces. So the collar with the two pins seperated itself from the bolt socket. (two pieces is attacted together with a single ring)

I was desperate to get the crank off and damaged it...

Something I learned when fixing, installing parts on a bike that there's no short cuts..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dookie said:
how so? as i see it...that'll get the bolt out of the spindle (and the arm off), but won't get the dustcover/bolt out of the arm. would love to know the trick!

OP...you've gotten mostly good advice here. threads are reversed. holes are tiny. and most likely, the dustcover is seized from sweat/pressure (if you've removed the arms more than once or twice).

lockring pliers are about the best makeshift tool. the real deal can be had here:
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2452-00'
Just realise when taking apart the hard way... Also the extactor was bent aswell resulting in cross threading..

Do you know if its a good idea to put Anti-Seize Assembly Lubricant on the theads of the bolt to ensure trouble-free disassembly or just bolt it dry????

·
Registered
553 Posts
i anti-seize pretty much everything except carbon. you'll get a lot of opinions on greasing the spindle tapers (i would), but i'd definitely grease the threads...both bolt/spindle and dustcover/crank.

btw...i've got a used but intact dustcover/bolt just like the one you busted. pm me if you want it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.