Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have decided, after 9 years if not riding, to get a bike and start (at least) commuting to work. I know that I want a CX bike but have a couple of questions.

1. Being 6'2' and 240lbs do I need to worry about carbon forks (or other components) holding up?

2. What is "Easton Ultralight Race"? And would a frame made of it be sturdy or is it going to break easier than aluminum or steel?

I ask because I haven't decided exactly what bike to go for yet. I'm trying to see if I can find a Surly Crosscheck in my area, there is a Norco CCX that I like but it comes with a Carbon fork and I am looking at Kona's Jake and Jake the Snake(frame is Easton Ultralight Race).

Also, I have yet to get a local price on the Surly but I can get the Jake for $749CDN right now. Is there any reason to pay at least twice as much for the other bikes? Keep in mind that 90% of my riding will be Commuting\Recreational. I am interested in racing a bit in the future for fun after I get in better shape.

Sorry for the long winded post.
(btw, I tried searching for all this info but the search function here is a bit lacking. I caused a fatal error. Twice:rolleyes: )

Thanks,
Huge

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Easton Ultralight Race

is an AL alloy that has weight reduced. will be lighter but a tad weaker, may not be an issue. the problem larger riders have with lighter frames is we tend to flex them.I'm just shy of 6'5" and around 230 or so. I am running CF forks with alloy steerers on 2 rigs and so far, so good. I race and commute on these. If I had my druthers I'd get a nice steel ride.Surly's are strong but tankish. I'd search the web for a deal on a Kelly or something.
As a larger rider, in general,shy away from all the super weight weenie stuff, you will break it. Steel BB spindles, pedal spindles, etc... no Ti in these zones.
At 240 saving a gram or 2 is kinda a waste,makes very little difference especially given at this weight many Clydes have a spare bike of wasted tissue. worry about shaving grams when bodyfat is sub 10%. Until then weight savings on the body are far more rewarding and cheaper.
Just get the regular Jake, not the Major Jake,you'll be fine

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For commuting, a normal steel road frame might serve you better, unless you need the clearance for fenders or attachments for racks. A solid used or new steel road frame with 105 level components would provide good service, if you needed to extra clearance, the Lemond might be a good choice in a cross bike. The Surly is cheap and heavy, but people seem to like them. The Specialized is a nice bike, as is the Bianchi, both are slightly more expensive than the models you mentioned.

Look out for lousy, worthless wheels on $900 cross bikes, suggest you work with the shop to trade out to some real wheels before you take delivery, big guy like you would ruin some Chinese crap wheels in a week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I've pretty much decided on the Jake, but I have to admit I'm not big on the Sora shifters. I'll probabaly just ugrade them later. Thanks again.

Huge

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
just noticed on ebay a morati cyclocross...

ti is nice and morati's even nicer.

Whats your budget?

Steel is reliable for everyone, you can get a sub 4lb steel frame these days. Kelly frames are an excellent mid-range choice.

check out this wiler steel frame and artical from paris roubiax
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/apr06/roubaix06/?id=/tech/2006/features/roubaix_bikes1

Im far from a big rider, although I adore how my steel pinarello opera rides!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kannas said:
Whats your budget?
Low. I'm a student. I really don't want to go over 1500CDN. If I find the right bike I may be willing to stretch it a bit. A lower initial cost is better for me though. I went to a couple boutique style stores where I was shown a Kelly Knobby X which was a nice bike, but well over 2000. Another place had the Brodie Romax w\ disc brakes for exactly 2000. I realy like both of them but I wouldn't be able to afford one until next year. Plus, I have a hard time justifying paying more for a bike than I did for my car.:D

Thanks,
Huge (Dave)

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
If you are slightly patient and narrow down some choices I am sure you can find a gently used 'cross bike of your liking and price range $1200-2000?. Check RBR classifieds, craigslist in you area, ebay ect. Also its off season for 'cross if you buy from a LBS use that concept to get a better price, especially if the bike is last years or two model.

I have built up my two race bikes under $1500

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kannas said:
If you are slightly patient and narrow down some choices I am sure you can find a gently used 'cross bike of your liking and price range $1200-2000?
I realized that I will probably be getting a way better paying job in the next month or so, so I am going to wait to see what hapens with that until I make a purchase. It's going to be hard, I really want to get out and ride. It's been too long.

I've been looking at the used bike selection at my LBS's and I haven't seen any CX's. I suppose I'll have to keep looking. To be honest, I don't think that I've ever seen a cross being ridden in the city. I'm sure there's a few but not many. 90% of the people here rides mtb's.

Thanks,

Huge (Dave)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts