Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have decided, after 9 years if not riding, to get a bike and start (at least) commuting to work. I know that I want a CX bike but have a couple of questions.

1. Being 6'2' and 240lbs do I need to worry about carbon forks (or other components) holding up?

2. What is "Easton Ultralight Race"? And would a frame made of it be sturdy or is it going to break easier than aluminum or steel?

I ask because I haven't decided exactly what bike to go for yet. I'm trying to see if I can find a Surly Crosscheck in my area, there is a Norco CCX that I like but it comes with a Carbon fork and I am looking at Kona's Jake and Jake the Snake(frame is Easton Ultralight Race).

Also, I have yet to get a local price on the Surly but I can get the Jake for $749CDN right now. Is there any reason to pay at least twice as much for the other bikes? Keep in mind that 90% of my riding will be Commuting\Recreational. I am interested in racing a bit in the future for fun after I get in better shape.

Sorry for the long winded post.
(btw, I tried searching for all this info but the search function here is a bit lacking. I caused a fatal error. Twice:rolleyes: )

Thanks,
Huge

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I've pretty much decided on the Jake, but I have to admit I'm not big on the Sora shifters. I'll probabaly just ugrade them later. Thanks again.

Huge

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kannas said:
Whats your budget?
Low. I'm a student. I really don't want to go over 1500CDN. If I find the right bike I may be willing to stretch it a bit. A lower initial cost is better for me though. I went to a couple boutique style stores where I was shown a Kelly Knobby X which was a nice bike, but well over 2000. Another place had the Brodie Romax w\ disc brakes for exactly 2000. I realy like both of them but I wouldn't be able to afford one until next year. Plus, I have a hard time justifying paying more for a bike than I did for my car.:D

Thanks,
Huge (Dave)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kannas said:
If you are slightly patient and narrow down some choices I am sure you can find a gently used 'cross bike of your liking and price range $1200-2000?
I realized that I will probably be getting a way better paying job in the next month or so, so I am going to wait to see what hapens with that until I make a purchase. It's going to be hard, I really want to get out and ride. It's been too long.

I've been looking at the used bike selection at my LBS's and I haven't seen any CX's. I suppose I'll have to keep looking. To be honest, I don't think that I've ever seen a cross being ridden in the city. I'm sure there's a few but not many. 90% of the people here rides mtb's.

Thanks,

Huge (Dave)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts