Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the best touring tyre? any suggestions on brands? 700x25 or 700x28?

what's the best do it all stuck in the middle of nowhere with only this one multitool to get me out?

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Tools are no help if you don't know how to use them.

M.J. said:
what's the best touring tyre? any suggestions on brands? 700x25 or 700x28?

what's the best do it all stuck in the middle of nowhere with only this one multitool to get me out?
There are so many good multi tools available now that it is hard to pick one as best. Get a tool that you know how to use and that fits everything on your bike. The bottom line to answer your exact question would be a working cell phone.

Tyres? I use tires. Continental and/or Panasonic and/or Rivendell Roughy Toughy 700x28 for unloaded touring something wider for loaded touring. (Yes I know the Rivendell tires are marked 700x26 but they are far wider than the Conti and Pana 28s).

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks - I've got bits and pieces of course and quite a few multi-tools but no single do-it-all monster - we're gonna be outta cell phone range unsupported in Eastern Europe for a week in September

I say tomahto - Conti's have worked well for me before - looks like they're the front runners again

thanks MB1

· What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Any multitool with a chain tool and a good range of allen keys will also come with philips and flat screw drivers. Spoke wrenches are nice, and a handful of zip ties. Make sure anything you don't have a tool for is in working order (hubs, bottom brackets and headsets). The remoter the trip, the more tools you'll want anyway--along with commonly broken/damaged parts.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
The old school setup.

M.J. said:
thanks - I've got bits and pieces of course and quite a few multi-tools but no single do-it-all monster - we're gonna be outta cell phone range unsupported in Eastern Europe for a week in September

I say tomahto - Conti's have worked well for me before - looks like they're the front runners again

thanks MB1
Carry duct tape for things that are moving that shouldn't.

Carry WD40 for things that aren't moving that should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.