Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it unreasonable to try to do 2 races in 2 days? I was thinking of doing the Prairie Rose State Games in July (North Dakota). They have a Triathlon on Saturday and then a 50 mile road race on Sunday. The Triathlon isn't long. I think it is considered sprint distance. Is this do-able? I've never done a Tri before and want to try one, but I don't want to skip the road race. Would there be problems in training? This would keep me from riding bike as often, unless I maybe rode bike mornings 5 days a week in addition to the normal training of swim bike run. Any advice from you more seasoned racers?

·
Registered
635 Posts
ive never done a tri followed by a road race, but i've now down back to back races 3 weekends running (this weekend I did 1 race sat, 2 sunday!).

It is do-able, but i'm not going to sit here and say how easy it is. You may have to tailor your training for it, esp w/ the tri

some tips ive picked up on from others for back to back racing:
take the 2 days before your first race really easy, 30min-1 hr slow ride, 15mph, flat, slow
make sure you get a really good cool down in after your first race day
get plenty of sleep - over 10 hours (at least thats what I need)
get a good warmup in for race day 2
don't have too great expectations for day 2, unless everyone is racing both days

other helpful things include recovery drinks/products at night, a good hot meal, shower, massage, a laundromat (unless you really like smelly clothes)

good luck

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
the thing about short races is that they do tend to be faster. in a tri, you can go at your own pace, but, you know, when grandma passes you, you're going to want to pour it on.
you can do two races in two days -- the lore is rife with weekend warriors swearing that they're better their second race day -- but I would have real concerns about sort of picking up triathlon competitition just because it happens to coincide with a RR. Tri's require a different training regimen from road racing. And that's just for the cycling part. You do realize that they expect you to SWIM before you ride and then RUN after, don't you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts