Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an hour and a half in the morning and 2 hours after work to get in training rides. Should the morning ride be the main hard work-out and the evening for endurance/recovery? Thanks for any feedback.

· Registered
39 Posts
Are you riding twice because you can and want to, or like me, because you ride to work on some or all work days?

I have experimented with different structures and suggest you do the same. I feel that it is better to do a harder ride in the morning and use the post work ride to either boost mileage for that day or spin easily at level 1 to recover. I am told that doing 2 rides of more than easy intensity in the one day actually counts as more like one longer ride and you should plan accordingly so as not to get burnt out.

As a cyclocross rider I have trained twice day, running in the mornings but be careful you eat enough and rest enough - you'll soon get overtired with a working day and hopefully some life outside of bike and work. Good luck - as a family guy who squeezes in every last minute around something else I suggest you enjoy your time to the max!

· Registered
137 Posts
thenazz said:
The main reason would be to drop 5 or 6 lbs and I thought by reving up my metabolic rate first thing in the morning that would help.
It shouldn't matter when you revv up your metabolism. It doesn't have to be first thing in the morning. However, riding twice a day will keep your metabolism high. Aerobic efforts keep the metabolism going for 8 hours at a time.

Ride your bike into work and then ride home and you're set. That's what I do, more out of necessity than desire to lose weight. Saves gas, too!

· Registered
354 Posts
I have a hour and ten minute commute both to and from work via road bike at a decent pace. I try to make it 3 times per week. Should I save the bike commuting for those days when I am recovering from a hard ride, which would be the eqiuvalent of getting an easy 2-hour recovery ride in?

· Registered
137 Posts
dawgcatching said:
I have a hour and ten minute commute both to and from work via road bike at a decent pace. I try to make it 3 times per week. Should I save the bike commuting for those days when I am recovering from a hard ride, which would be the eqiuvalent of getting an easy 2-hour recovery ride in?
I'm no coach, but I would say there is no such thing as an "easy 2-hour recovery ride", unless you plan on starting the Tour de France.

If you have a coach, ask him/her. If not, if you race... get one.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Long recovery

sianne said:
I'm no coach, but I would say there is no such thing as an "easy 2-hour recovery ride", unless you plan on starting the Tour de France.

If you have a coach, ask him/her. If not, if you race... get one.
No such thing? Beg to differ. You can go out and spin easy for 2 hours, and that's a 2 hour recovery ride. Simple as that.

· Registered
460 Posts
Two schools of thought

There are two schools of thought here: a moderate intensity ride in the evening may either cause you to be more awake for a while and thus make it harder to get to sleep in the evening, or if you ride harder, or are tired from a harder ride earlier in the day, you may fall asleep easier. Play around with it and see what works for you.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I noodle for 2 hours all of the time.

No, wait, not all of the time. Then I would be slow. But at least once a week. Is it any better than doing so for 45 minutes? I don't know. But I like riding my bike, and looking at the scenery instead of seeing stars is nice some days!

· Banned
657 Posts
I have years of experience w/ split daily training as a bodybuilder. I can tell you if you double it up it works. Recovery is necessary as is intense muscle stress. If you play it where you warm up, do the ride, cool down, eat, rest & do it again it is effective.
I say cruise to work & rip it home with some excellent nutrition in between. Who wants a sweat bomb at work anyway.

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
venus said:
I have years of experience w/ split daily training as a bodybuilder. I can tell you if you double it up it works. Recovery is necessary as is intense muscle stress. If you play it where you warm up, do the ride, cool down, eat, rest & do it again it is effective.
I say cruise to work & rip it home with some excellent nutrition in between. Who wants a sweat bomb at work anyway.
I agree. Two times a day is still two times a day. If you are riding to enjoy it, you will see improvements no matter what...don't kill yourself over it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.