Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I built a small 1985 Trek 560 up for my son Isaac. I liked the frame so much that when I saw one in my size, I nabbed it. Today we went for a ride on our matching Treks--here's Isaac with the two bikes.

His: Salsa bar and stem, Sugino triple, old XT derailers, Exage brakes and levers, 105/ME14 wheels with a 7-speed cassette mounted with a spacer.

Mine: Generic bar, TTT stem, Ultegra double, 600 and RX100 derailers, RSX and RX100 brakes, Exage levers, whatever wheels I could dig up (though I like the red rim) and a 9-speed SRAM cassette.

I just need to get red cages and then I think I'm set!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Andy M-S said:
A while back, I built a small 1985 Trek 560 up for my son Isaac. I liked the frame so much that when I saw one in my size, I nabbed it. Today we went for a ride on our matching Treks--here's Isaac with the two bikes.

His: Salsa bar and stem, Sugino triple, old XT derailers, Exage brakes and levers, 105/ME14 wheels with a 7-speed cassette mounted with a spacer.

Mine: Generic bar, TTT stem, Ultegra double, 600 and RX100 derailers, RSX and RX100 brakes, Exage levers, whatever wheels I could dig up (though I like the red rim) and a 9-speed SRAM cassette.

I just need to get red cages and then I think I'm set!
Steel Treks rule.

If I'd bought the Trek 660 (True Temper steel, Shimano 600) instead of the Giant Cadex (bonded carbon, Shimano 105) back in 1990, I'd probably still be riding it. As it was, a Columbus SL, Campy-equipped Otero called my name in 2000, and the Giant was sold off, beginning my re-love for steel bikes. But I do ride a steel Trek MTB, and love it.

--Shannon

·
Looking for Vintage Treks
55 Posts
I have ridden the wheels of my 560 (literally after 21 years the rear hub is shot) she is all stock except for tires (tubes duh), tape,pedals, computer & saddle bag. The saddle is the original Selle San Marcos. i was going to swap it out with something newer but it is actually quite comfortable, I have owned this bike for two years ( I bought it off the original owner who didn't even get a thousand miles on her, but he did give me the Orignal receipt and owners manual) I may buy other bikes but I am keeping this one I love the feel of Steel Treks. I love the fact you found matching frames....enjoy the rides-Robb

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The thread rises from the grave...

I just picked up a 1985 560 for $120. It looked hurtin' but it cleaned up very nicely. Sparkly purple paint rules. Photos soon.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
If fleabay is any indication, there is a newfound appreciation for lugged steel Treks. I'm keeping my eye out for one - preferably Reynolds 531.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Richard said:
If fleabay is any indication, there is a newfound appreciation for lugged steel Treks. I'm keeping my eye out for one - preferably Reynolds 531.
They've been going for reasonable prices. I had an '86 560 that was Reynolds 531. Wish I still had it.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
I've got an '83 frameset somewhere (attic, I think). got it about 10 yrs ago for about $100 and used it as a fg for awhile. I suppose it will get refinished (powdercoated and new dt decal) someday

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Here it is. Brakes and levers are Suntour Cylone, as is front derailleur. Cranks are Dura-Ace, rear derailleur is Shimano 600 and shifters are Shimano RX100. This is the bike after about an hour with WD-40, a toothbrush and a t-shirt. It was covered in dirt and surface rust. Still some work to do but the foundation is solid. I took a look in the head tube and seat tube and it doesn't look like there's any rust.

Unlike some old Treks tire clearance is very limited--at least under the fork crown. The rear even has fender mounts at the chainstays and even a threaded hole at the brake bridge, but it'd be tough to fit a fender in there. Plus, there's no braze-ons, so I'm not sure what the thinking was here.

Anyone know how to find replacement hoods for Cyclone levers? Will Dia-Compes work?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
nickillus said:
I just returned from a 25 mile ride. I love this thing.
I had the same year/model frame. The Reynolds 531 frame was a great ride. I sold the frame a couple years ago. I miss it. Rode better than the flashier DeRosa Prestige and Tommasini Sintesi bikes that I had.

·
Registered
134 Posts
jeebus said:
I had the same year/model frame. The Reynolds 531 frame was a great ride. I sold the frame a couple years ago. I miss it. Rode better than the flashier DeRosa Prestige and Tommasini Sintesi bikes that I had.
I'd love to buy a new Derosa NeoPrimato or a Tommasini Techno, and perhaps someday I will. Considering the investment and present economy I wonder if they would be that significant a move up. I'm sticking with vintage steel and will continue searching for another.
I'd really like a 660.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
rcnute said:
Anyone know how to find replacement hoods for Cyclone levers? Will Dia-Compes work?
The diacompes they sell at V-O mostly work on Campy SR... I'd guess they should mostly work on yours. Better than nothing, anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.