Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ride with 20% chance of T-Storms?

  • Ride... Stop being a wuss

    Votes: 85 90.4%
  • Dont Ride... Better Safe than sorry

    Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Get Bent... Um yah.

    Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Pie

    Votes: 5 5.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Festina Lente'
Joined
·
11,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over here in Southern Cali, and a ride to a company BBQ scheduled for tomorrow around noontime. This is So Cal (riding to Agoura Hills), so I could probably count on one hand the number of thunderstorms we've had. But still... thoughts?

Vote Foolz...

Plz? Thx!

nK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Here in South Carolina, Thunderstorms are all to common at this time of year. I have been caught out on my bike a couple of times when a Tstorm came through.

It is a very scary feeling to have lightning cracking around you while on the open road with no shelter around.

I don't mind rain but lightning scares me.
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
32,346 Posts
Go, you get double hard-core points if you're on a metal bike :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Lightning can kill you, but it's not just that: winds that can hurl tree parts and debris with lethal force; blinding, drowning rain; flash floods and washed out roads, and drivers who can't see where they're going. I've got a very healthy respect for thunderstorms.
But, having said that, I've made some of my very best elapsed times when being chased home by an approaching storm.
 

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
there's been about 5 T-storm deaths in the last week.

If your bike is metal, it's not gonna help either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
I guess 20% in SoCal is a big deal

BentChainring said:
over here in Southern Cali, and a ride to a company BBQ scheduled for tomorrow around noontime. This is So Cal (riding to Agoura Hills), so I could probably count on one hand the number of thunderstorms we've had. But still... thoughts?

Vote Foolz...

Plz? Thx!

nK
I can imagine the chance of rain setting off a panic in SoCal. Here in the mid-atlantic a typical sweaty hot summer day will have a 30% chance of thunderstorms. At 20-30% I would definitely ride. At 40% I stay closer to home and keep a watch out, Above that or if I can see thunderstorms around on the radar I would maybe do intervals or such near home.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
I'd be more likely to vote in your poll if I could understand what the hell you're talking about. Pie? What's that mean in relation to your question?

20% chance of T'storms = 80% chance of not having them. Go with the odds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,776 Posts
Heard about the internets?

Check the freakin' radar before you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Mr. Bill said:
Lightning can kill you, but it's not just that: winds that can hurl tree parts and debris with lethal force...

But, having said that, I've made some of my very best elapsed times when being chased home by an approaching storm.
That's what worries me the most when I go mountainbiking. After a strom I often see fallen trees on the trails I use. How come they always have to fall and block my trails, huh? Better safe than sorry. Lightning I don't fear. Getting struck by lightning has the same kinds of odds as winning in lottery. I never win.

Out on the road when I have that big one chasing me down, that's when the real tt-training gets done no matter what the distance home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,245 Posts
Here in the south, there is almost always a 20% or better chance of a T-storm in the summer. If we did not ride with those odds, we wouldn't ride all summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
I saw that to and debated...I went out and had a nice time riding even though it was humid. The rain came that evening I recall...so I was happy to get some saddle time.

When we were in Florida...T-storms scared me and especially when it we were walking back to our car from EPCOT. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Actually, when they say there's a 20% chance of rain it doesn't mean that there's an 80% chance that it won't rain. Rather, it's supposed to mean that 20% of the forecast area WILL get rained on. So, for instance a 50% chance of rain would probably mean that you are going to get wet, especially if you are not staying in one spot and are travelling through the area.

Whatever. Don't be a wuss. Riding in the rain is no big deal, especially if it's warm. Now if it was 45 F and raining out, that would be a different story. Now lightning is nothing to screw with. If you see it close by, by all means get off the road and take a break. It usually passes quickly anyway.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top