Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fire alarm went off at the office today. Everyone evacuated, slowly might I add, and waited for the firemen to arrive. 20 min later an engine finally shows up and firemen go in with full gear. Another 5-10 minutes later a ladder truck rolls up. Ends up we had a false alarm due to air in the sprinkler system.

I can't help but feel 20 minutes is a bit too long but am wondering what the wise lowng thinks. Couldn't a building fire get fairly large over that much time?

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
did somebody take your stapler?

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
go to Google Earth and see where the nearest fire station is relative to the location of the 'fire.'

calculate travel time and add a few minutes for the crew to man the truck.

adjust calculated travel time for various traffic conditions.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I work with a guy who was a local firefighter for about a decade and drove the trucks. He said for his department they had to be on scene no matter where or when in under 5 minutes from the sound of the alarm. If not, they'd have reports and review committees to answer to.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a couple fire stations just down the road but they must have been on calls or something because the two trucks were from areas much further away.

I know there could have been another call in the area that trucks were already responding to. To be honest, I am also fairly confident that 20 minutes is enough time to really F a building. Maybe we just got unlucky with respect to timing or something.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i promise, the fire department wasn't sitting around on their hands waiting for your building's fire alarm to go off. calls are kept holding sometimes for a reason. that reason usually is that there are a finite number of fire personnel and vehicles, serving a large populace. they can't be everywhere at once.

ever notice when you call an ambulance for a medical "emergency", a fire truck often shows up also?

eta: nothing can be taken at face value. what you observed was a very small and likely incorrect representation of what was acutally happening.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
10ae1203 said:
This is why you have fire sprinklers.
and floor wardens, extinguishers, and an evacuation plan.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
tconrady said:
I work with a guy who was a local firefighter for about a decade and drove the trucks. He said for his department they had to be on scene no matter where or when in under 5 minutes from the sound of the alarm. If not, they'd have reports and review committees to answer to.
if they're not already on the scene of something else.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Ejdo said:
We have a couple fire stations just down the road but they must have been on calls or something because the two trucks were from areas much further away.

I know there could have been another call in the area that trucks were already responding to.
bingo.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
What J's said.

Is the Fire Company paid or volunteer?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Never question the "hero" fireman or you will end up on their let it burn list.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts