Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm building a new wheel set and hoping to use the powertap hub I already have. I know it's minimal saving of weight but when every gram comes at a premium why not?

The hub I have is 24holes (12 per side). Any thought on lacing up 12 on the drive side and 8 on the non-drive side? thanks.

::EDIT:::
powertaps sells spoke ranges from 16 to 32 holes

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Any thought on lacing up 12 on the drive side and 8 on the non-drive side?
There is a good combo you can use on a 32h hub that would use that spoke count, but not a 24h hub. At least not that I know of.

I certainly wouldn't worry about saving 4 spokes with a funky pattern. Use light spokes and a lighter rim if you want to save weight in your application.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Without building one personally, I going out on a limb and will say that you need a very stiff (heavy) rim to keep that pattern straight. You have 4 drive spokes with no adjacent non drive spoke. That will make the rim difficult to impossible to make straight. Even then, a rim that heavy will more than negate the weight lost in 4 spokes (about 20g).

·
wut?
507 Posts
Because of the historically large flange diameters on Powertap hubs they have steep bracing angles and tend to be problematic with low spoke counts. I would take ergott's original advise and go 24-2x and be done with it.

It sounds like this is a race wheel, but are you going to be using it for training as well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.