Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been planning for a double for the last couple of months. We just needed the right weather.

Sundays forecast called for low winds and warm weather. Sounds good to us.

We left the house just as the sun was rising and took some very back roads up to Pennsylvania. The first 100 was really easy although just before lunch I was feeling a bit too warm in the early summer heat.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After lunch I felt fine (good thing since we were 100 miles from home). From Gettysburg we headed straight south down the Frederick Valley to the C&O Canal for a while then up into some hills for some bonus miles.

We crossed the Potomac from Maryland into Virginia at Whites Ferry. The cars were really backed up but we walked right on.

During the short crossing we chatted with a couple from South America who had taken the tow path 30-40 miles up from DC. They were pretty impressed with the riding but were ready to get off their bikes for a while; I think that they really didn't quite know what to make of what we were doing. Nice folks though.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the ferry it was a short ride into Leesburg and the W&OD trail that we were going to take back to DC. We hit it late enough so it was fairly (although not completly) empty. We were treated to a nice easy ride home and the sight of our shadows getting longer and longer.

Of course the last rest stop at DQ came in real handy.

Then it was a quick race back to town trying to beat the setting sun. We had to turn our blinkies on just before we crossed the Key Bridge back into the District. Up one last hill and we were done. Just a fraction over 200 miles.

Some notes:

1) We love our Brooks saddles and our steel bikes. Except for slightly sore hands we had no pain issues at all.

2) Powdered Gatorade rules. All we had to do was find drinking water to mix with our powder and we were good to go for a few hours (fast food places are great since they had ice too).

3) After 180 miles DQ is the necter of the gods.

4) Bike riding is FUN!

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Miss M let you ride her wheel for 200 miles? You lucky dog. Looks like it was fun.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
So strange to see you two riding geared bikes. Glad to see that even you two have to wimp out from time to time. Gives us mortal folk hope!

Great pics. Thanks for sharing those. How many state lines did you cross? I can't even imagine crossing one, at least not riding 100 miles in any direction around me... although Oklahoma is close.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Did you do all that in one day?

And to think my wife is impressed when I do 15 miles?

I really need to get out more...

I think with a tandum and a promise to DQ for some ice cream, I could motivate my wife to take up cycling ;)

Thank you for the post ;)

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Why am I not surprised?

I did my first century of the year on Sunday. At some point, I thought: "Well, today, I am riding as much as MB1 and Miss M." But, no, the dynamic duo has to do a double century. The two of you never cease to amaze me. As the French would say: "Chapeau."

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do you tell your left from your right?/It is a Michael Jackson tribute!

Andy M-S said:
What's with the black and white gloves?
Actually the truth is a lot less fun.

She goes through those very thin outer gloves so quickly she doesn't bother trying to match them.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I did a "solo" century yesterday from the house in Ewa Beach to Waimanolo. I say solo because I rode by myself from the house to Kapiolani Park and then pulled the group to Waimanolo and back including Makupu'u before riding home. The commute this morning was fun, especially climbing the hill next to Aloha Stadium. I think my brakes were rubbing.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,136 Posts
Great report MB! You guys have some really nice bicycles - steel is real. Just wondering, what is the brandname of Miss M's little side mirror? I've been thinking of getting one when I ride in traffic.
Cheers, Wayne

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.