Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am riding home today and I see three kids coming towards me on the MUT. The are riding side by side which is annoying but I am used to it. I can't tell if he tried too but at the last second this 200lb kid on a BMX bike veers into me and there is a huge collision. My rim is bent my new bibs are trashed my leg is shredded and I may not recover for the triathlon that I have next weekend. Anyhow what should one do? Should I have called the cops? Would they have done anything?
Later

·
Registered
595 Posts
mhemberg said:
So I am riding home today through the getto and I see three kids coming towards me on the MUT. The are riding side by side which is annoying but I am used to it. I can't tell if he tried too but at the last second this 200lb kid on a BMX bike veers into me and there is a huge collision. My rim is bent my new bibs are trashed my leg is shredded and I may not recover for the triathlon that I have next weekend. Anyhow what should one do? Should I have called the cops? Would they have done anything? I was worried about starting to much trouble because I didn't want dad and older brother using me for target practice the rest of the summer so I rode off.

Later
i doubt there's any way you could prove malice intent. seems more like a simple accident.

mut's seem to be ridden at your own risk...

the other side of the coin is going to argue that you need to control your speed and that mut's shouldn't be used for training. i tend to agree with this viewpoint because it only takes one guy in a full tri get-up to plow into a baby carriage or child. get on the road and you won't have this problem. you'll just have others...

good luck healing up.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I'm going to assume that your "ghetto" reference didn't have the racist overtones that I inferred, but it was a little off-putting.

I don't think that police would have been helpful in an accident on an MUT, especially where the negligent party is a minor. It's just a hazard of living type deal. Sorry for your crash.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize for the use of the word ghetto. I did not realize that it was as un-PC of a word until I looked up the definition in the dictionary. What I meant to say was I was riding in a part of town that is know for incidents on the MUT. BB guns, railroad ties across trail glass. I typically don't ride very fast in that section because there are to many peds, pet walkers etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This might be a stupid question but what is the MUT?

And in my opinion the word ghetto does not have any racist undertones unless you try and make them. I am originally from Memphis, TN and now live in New Orleans. So, I think I know what ghetto means. But ghetto does NOT necessarily infer a black section of town. The area that I grew up in could be considered "ghetto" (and would be by the high american white standards) and it was about 50% white and 50% black.

BB guns, railroad ties across trail glass
Sounds pretty ghetto to me. Maybe it was a ghetto of rich Jewish people with guns?

GHETTO is an area where people from a specific racial or ethnic background or united in a given culture or religion live as a group, voluntarily or involuntarily, in milder or stricter seclusion.
Source: WIKIPEDIA

·
Registered
805 Posts

Sounds pretty ghetto to me. Maybe it was a ghetto of rich Jewish people with guns?

Source: WIKIPEDIA[/QUOTE]

Dude. That comment kind of defeated your whole purpose of explaining that the word "ghetto" ain't so bad, in this case.

BTW, MUT = multi-use trail.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I wasn't trying to make a big PC to-do. I just thought that describing a rougher part of town as "ghetto" and saying you didn't want to involve parents because they might shoot you seemed a little over-the-top... Whether the generalization is based on race or socio-economic status, it seemed like gratuitous stereotyping unrelated to the question of "I had a collision on the MUT that was the other guy's fault, and my stuff (and me) got damaged. What should I have done?"

PS -- you'll also see that I said "I inferred" not "he implied" ... was hoping to just be asking a question, not throwing brickbats.

Peace out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dude. That comment kind of defeated your whole purpose of explaining that the word "ghetto" ain't so bad, in this case.

BTW, MUT = multi-use trail.
Thanks for the MUT info.

I wasn't making the point that ghettos weren't that bad. Just that there was no racist undertones to the word (I meant to put BB Guns).

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
If you know who the kid is, ask the parents to cover your losses. Sue them in small claims court if necessary. It may have been an accident, but it was the kid's fault and you incurred damages.

If you don't know who the kid is, you are out of luck. You should have gotten his name, address, and phone number. You should have gotten all the kids info.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After reflecting on it overnight I have came to this conclusion. I am sure they just wanted to see if they could run me into the grass, not to actually hit me. It was just a case of kids being dumb. Kids do dumb things sometimes I know I did. The fact that they hit me is upsetting from a damage to personal property standpoint but I am also glad that they hit a big athletic person who was wearing a helmet and had a weeks worth of clothes in his messenger bag that cushioned the fall, and not an elderly person or someone with a kid in a childseat. Hopefully the impact will make them think twice about doing it again.

Lesson learned and I am installing a giant spear onto my aerobars.

M

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Spear? What do you mean by that?

Lame ass joke of mine mocking political correctness.

Sorry for your accident. Rich kids in the suburbs aren't a helluva lot smarter and hardly any kids anywhere ride straight for more than 50 yards at a time.

If your city is anything like Heartfurd, it sounds like your commute gives you a choice between an MUT and streets full of pot holes and parked cars. Surviving as an urban commuter starts with finding a rideable route. Good luck, get well, and road rash at a triathlon gets you lots of attention from your fellow participants even if you're slower than you'd like to be.

·
Registered
26 Posts
what?

mhemberg said:
It was just a case of kids being dumb. Kids do dumb things sometimes I know I did.
this doesn't make it ok. when a kid does something stupid adults (usually parents) justify it by saying "oh they are just kids", like that will make it ok. maybe it was ok pre 00's because eventually it caught up to you and you were taught it wasn't ok, it doesn't seem like thats happening anymore.

why would you even let someone, anyone, get that close to you in a shady section of the mut?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
When one is riding on a MUT, one must treat it like a Cat 5 crit. Anything and everything can happen. I fail to see how someone bumping into you, while riding towards you, would cause you to crash. Did the fat child also crash? As an adult, you would be responsible for any damage to the child, or his bike. It sounds like you should practice your bike skills.
You should get some of your friends to ride around on a grassy area and practice bumping drills. Try to duplicate the crash you had. After a half hour workout like this, you will find that you crash a lot less often.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
There is a good chance they were out to get you. Report this to the police.

We have seen it more often than we like. Young inner city kids on bicycles looking for trouble and attacking adults. We ride all over DC and always have, this last year we have been harassed while riding on MUTs near low income housing-always by kids on bikes. We have also seen kids about the age and size you report riding up to folks and kicking them or riding directly into them.

This really is not a joke, young kids run little chance of getting into real trouble while attacking adults but adults can really get into trouble if they react.

Like I said, report this to the police.

·
Registered
463 Posts
MB1 said:
We have seen it more often than we like. Young inner city kids on bicycles looking for trouble and attacking adults. We ride all over DC and always have, this last year we have been harassed while riding on MUTs near low income housing-always by kids on bikes. We have also seen kids about the age and size you report riding up to folks and kicking them or riding directly into them.

This really is not a joke, young kids run little chance of getting into real trouble while attacking adults but adults can really get into trouble if they react.

Like I said, report this to the police.
And make sure you tell them this was "In the ghettooooo" o/~ o/~

/me breaks into song

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A few years back I was passing through NYC's morningside park, when some kids/teenagers (that happened to be black;-)) attacked me with fist-size rocks.

Not sure why kids could inflict serious harm with immunity. Kids are actually smarter than we think they are.

trailertrash said:
this doesn't make it ok. when a kid does something stupid adults (usually parents) justify it by saying "oh they are just kids", like that will make it ok. maybe it was ok pre 00's because eventually it caught up to you and you were taught it wasn't ok, it doesn't seem like thats happening anymore.

why would you even let someone, anyone, get that close to you in a shady section of the mut?

·
Registered
266 Posts

:D :D :D :D

mhemberg said:
So I am riding home today and I see three kids coming towards me on the MUT. The are riding side by side which is annoying but I am used to it. I can't tell if he tried too but at the last second this 200lb kid on a BMX bike veers into me and there is a huge collision. My rim is bent my new bibs are trashed my leg is shredded and I may not recover for the triathlon that I have next weekend. Anyhow what should one do? Should I have called the cops? Would they have done anything?
Later

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.