Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal was an average of 10 miles every day for 14 days. My cyclometer says 205 miles. Best I can figure that is between 14 and 15 miles a day. May not seem like much but with church, a full time job, a wife, and kids, I am very pleased. I beat my goal and lost over 5 pounds in proccess. Was not sure how I would take to the road but I have to say I am sorry I waited so long. I wore mountain shorts for 9 years MTBing and swore spandex would never happen. Well...I now have spandex in wardrobe and am not afraid to ware them. Thanks to all for all the help and advice you have given me and even for the handslaps for posting in wrong section. Now my question is this.

How important is a cadence counter for training and fitness in your opinions?

thanks
rf37

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Unless you're racing, I wouldn't worry about it. I got one a while back, and found I was looking at it too much, which took away some of the enjoyment of the ride. I stopped looking at it and pedaled in gears that felt good to me. My new computer specifically did not have cadence on it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Nice goin'! Putting words into action is something lots of people don't seem to be able to do. Don't worry about getting a cadence counter. If you watch experienced rides you'll probably notice they're pedaling at a faster rate than you. If you have a cycle computer or a watch with a sec hand you can easily tell your cadence. Every time your left pedal comes down = 1 revolution. Most experienced riders pedal from the high 70s to the upper 90s. There is no right or wrong here. As you become more experienced you'll find your sweet spot. Don't let anybody tell you you should be pedaling at least X revs/minute. They don't know you.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good job. Before you know it you'll be doing 250 miles a week like it's second nature.

And you'll also be spending entirely too much money getting cool stuff.

It's a win-win!

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Great job and keep it up. Wifey will like the tight tush that results; mine does. :)

I think knowing the cadence is a good thing for a beginner. It is good to understand what 90 rpm +/- 10 feels like, but frankly after the first year it will not be used any more.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well Done

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first pedal stroke. The completion of that journey only happens with daily persistence and determination. After that, any goal is possible. (I believe the original quote was from a chinese philosopher, it is certainly not of my creation)

King Arthur

·
Registered
96 Posts
205 miles in 2 weeks... shaping up for quite a good first season on the road id say.. keep pushing yourself on the same loops you like now.. then try new loops.. maybe with a bigger hill or something.. thats what i keep doing.. finding new loops to keep the fire burnin and the wheels a turnin :D

i forgot lol about the cadence thing.. umm.. lemme ask u this.. what do you do for a dayjob?? if its anythign with number dont get one! this is a hobby right?? R&R time right?? screw the extra numbers n enjoy yourself!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts