Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Klein Quantum, shimano 105 components, rolf vector wheels, all stock nothing special. I didn't have the money to get good components when I bought it 5 yrs ago and now I want to upgrade. I am looking at campy chorus components and new wheels to start off... is it worth it to replace the components and wheels or should i just go with a whole bike?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
bjh1878 said:
I have a 2001 Klein Quantum, shimano 105 components, rolf vector wheels, all stock nothing special. I didn't have the money to get good components when I bought it 5 yrs ago and now I want to upgrade. I am looking at campy chorus components and new wheels to start off... is it worth it to replace the components and wheels or should i just go with a whole bike?
Go with a whole bike.... that Klein is a big piece o' crap anyway, you should take it out to the trash next Thursday.

by the way... Will you PM me your address :D

seriously though.... what don't you like about your bike that makes you want a new one?? In all honesty, I have 105 components on my bike and I don't feel any need to upgrade them. When I hit the brakes it stops, when I click the levers to the side it shifts, and everytime I push down on the pedals the crankset rotates. What do you want your bike to do differently?

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Whats wrong with what you got??

I mean "Chorus" would be nice, but 105 is nice too. Just spring for some new hoops and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
If the frame fits, ride it

I would buy some new wheels, maybe Neuvations or the Performance Forte equivalent (rebadged neuvations I believe) and shifters if they are wearing out. As long as you have been keeping up with the maintenance stuff like cassettes and chain swap when they get cranky. I would not go overboard and buy $700 wheels, just not necessary, $350 tops. Alot of great wheels in that range. 105 9 speed stuff is way cheaper than new 10 and not a big performance drop off. Hey if you could find Ultegra 9 speed shifters, I'd go that route.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I'd rebuild it..

I have a '99 Klein Quantum Race that I seldom ride. I spend most of my time on my Colnago Master X-Light. Last week I had to have my Campy Record Ergo shifters rebuilt on my Nago and I rode the Klein for five days. What a ride. Smooth as silk. My Ultegra sti's need to be replaced. This summer I'm going to buy some new or used sti's on ebay and replace the stock Rolf wheels. I only rode the Klein for about three years so it has less mileage than my Nago. If you are the original owner the frame is guaranteed for life..ebay has the best prices on sti's, otherwise the 105's can be found for around $150, on sale..if the frame is in good shape, no need for a complete new bike...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Klein Quantum

Just curious, is the quantum an OCLV carbon frame? If so, I'd consider adding newer/better parts as your budget allows. I can tell you that those wheels are pretty heavy
(I had a set of Rolf vector comps). Swapping those out could make a big difference in how that bike feels. Depending on what you get of course.

·
170 Posts
Whatever keeps you riding

I don't think upgrading to all-new Chorus 10sp will make you like the bike anymore than you do now, or at least not enough to justify the huge expense. I'd say, either upgrade a few select parts (wheels, tires, saddle, etc), or splurge on a nice new bike. Whatever keeps you riding.

I have a 1998 Klein "Stage Comp T", not even the high end Quantum frame. I have no problems with my Shimano 105 eight speed drivetrain, but I did add better wheels, a carbon saddle and a dura-ace crankset for stiffness. Very lite, fun ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a '99 Quantum frame that was ridden 4 times and then the parts removed as it was too big for the original buyer. I built it up with 10 speed Ultegra/Chris King/carbon bar and post etc. It's an awesome ride and my first road bike in 16 years.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Quantum=aluminim frame

Tomwd3 said:
Just curious, is the quantum an OCLV carbon frame? If so, I'd consider adding newer/better parts as your budget allows. I can tell you that those wheels are pretty heavy
(I had a set of Rolf vector comps). Swapping those out could make a big difference in how that bike feels. Depending on what you get of course.

The Quantum is an al frame. Same frame as the Quantum Race, the QR has an upgraded fork. In '02 Klein went to a c.f. wishbone seatstays with their Q-Pro in '02. Klein is an aluminum frame manufacturer. Trek now owns Rolf and equips their bikes with Bontrager wheels. When I bought my Klein back in '99 it was the lightest production frame on the market, 2.7 pounds.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My opinion is to keep the bike. I have a quantum race and love the way it handles. 105 components are cool, unless something is broken I wouldn't change them. Maybe swapping out the wheels. I've had a pair of rolf vectors and after two crashes (front rim has a tweak) Im now looking for new custom wheels which should be much lighter than the rolfs. Also your klein has a *****'in paint job! good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have an 01 quantum race and its a sweet ride, i would keep your frame and get new wheels if it makes you happy, nothing wrong with 9 speed 105, an upgrade to chorus will lighten your wallet more than your bike. btw i had a trek 5200 and the quantum is a way nicer frame

1 - 11 of 11 Posts