Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the chance to buy a full set of Daytona from 2002 for $400. The owner says that there is no more than 150 miles on the group. It looks to be in good shape. I agree it is low mileage but for about $250 - $300 more I can get brand new Centaur. Assuming there are no hidden problems is this used set worth the $400 versus $650 - 700 for the new one?

·
BikerFox Wannabe
696 Posts
Daytona is what I'd buy

dbeltramini77 said:
I have the chance to buy a full set of Daytona from 2002 for $400. The owner says that there is no more than 150 miles on the group. It looks to be in good shape. I agree it is low mileage but for about $250 - $300 more I can get brand new Centaur. Assuming there are no hidden problems is this used set worth the $400 versus $650 - 700 for the new one?
Same as Centaur and a much better name IMO. I've never liked "Centaur". Ugly name as far as I'm concerned. Offer him $350 cash. :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
dbeltramini77 said:
I'd go with the Daytona to save the dough. I have 2001 Daytona on my rain bike and 2004 Record on my dry bike. The Daytona works every bit as good as the Record. In fact, I like the more positive feel of the aluminum brifters. The group on the rain bike has 3-4000 miles on it so far and is doing just great. Recommended particularily at that price.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
zero85ZEN said:
Same as Centaur and a much better name IMO. I've never liked "Centaur". Ugly name as far as I'm concerned. Offer him $350 cash. :)
Daytona reminds me too much of stock car racing. Anything is better than that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Which was exactly the reason Campy was forced to change the name - trademark challenge from the race-way folks...

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
2002 daytona 10spd

dbeltramini77 said:
I'm happy with my 2002 daytona group. It came on the bike I bought NOS in 2004 from an lbs. I really like it. And I've placed > 2k on the bike since then. I've replaced the bottom bracket in 2004 since the spindle broke in two. Scary. I'm not sure if I just got a bad BB on my bike. Anyway, $400 on a group is not bad at all. I would shell out another $40 on the centaur BB though :)

Also, because of an accident last year resulting to crushing my Daytona Ergo shifters, I upgraded them to the Record Ultra shifters. I like!

Good luck on the build.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts