Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a source for a LOOK KG461 below the $1800 msrp? I'm considering a 51cm in the Jalabert color. I wrote three e-mails over 2 months to Total Cycling and never got a response, other than Mike would look into it. Got tired of asking and gave up. With the lousy exchange rates, the other UK dealers I looked up were above the US msrp.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
C-40 said:
Anyone know of a source for a LOOK KG461 below the $1800 msrp? I'm considering a 51cm in the Jalabert color. I wrote three e-mails over 2 months to Total Cycling and never got a response, other than Mike would look into it. Got tired of asking and gave up. With the lousy exchange rates, the other UK dealers I looked up were above the US msrp.
The Jalabert paint is a new color for 2004 in the KG461and LOOK raised their prices a lot on the 2004 models. Excel is usually the cheapest US retailer. You might be better off with a 2003 KG381 if someone has one. I bought my 2003 Jalabert 381(51cm too :) ) from an LBS owner in Boston who rode it for half a season. I paid $1000 for frame and fork. The same week I bought mine there was a guy in Miami selling a new 2003 381 Jalabert on Ebay for $1400. I don't think it sold.

If you want the 461, have you tried Parker Intl in the UK? As you said, the exchange rate is terrible right now but they are usually competitive

·
Registered
318 Posts
Should be okay

C-40 said:
Um, from past experience, Total Cycling never returns e-mails.... not sure why, something about costumer service or the lack of it.... gotta get used to it when you are in the UK.

Anyways, normally, once you place an order with total cycling it comes to you pretty fast. They also let you know when they have it in stock. Shouldn't be a problem. Look at the price and take the plunge, you won't beat that price anywhere else.

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure if they sell to US..

Went to the site, found the frame and went to checkout. No options to ship to the US or remove VAT as best I can tell, but I don't read german. Felt lucky to get that far. Looked up the word for frame (rahmen) and got lucky enough to find the checkout.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
When you check out you can select a menu containing DHL Versand (Welt), with the option of payment in advance (Vorkasse) or cash on delivery (Nachname). The next step you'll be presented with the invoice where you have to fill in your details. You'll see there the VAT which should be deducted and no shipping charges.

(If you choose a real cheap frame there are shipping charges however, which leads me to believe that above a certain amount it's free)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I looked long and hard for a KG381

Total was about the lowest price I could find but they didn't have my size 61cm. Parker won't sell to the U.S. due to some insurance problem with our sue happy country. I just picked up my 2002 KG381 for $1000 on e-bay. I have ridden my super KG281 for the last few seasons and simply love the ride. The 381 is out of production and the new KG481 is 200 grames lighter (frame&fork) at a wopping $2700 for frame,fork,headset and seat post. Too much for my pocket....even if I had the bux, $2700 is crazy. Good Luck

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sent an e-mail

Tried to place an order, but without complete success. Never got a final price or asked for a credit card number, so the order won't be completed. Sent and e-mail to see if anyone could respond in english. Thanks for the tip.

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Dude, they can just ORDER you the frame if you want it. They are close to the US distributor, and can have the frame in a day.

If you are interested, CALL THEM and they will get the frame out to you. I talked to chris, and he said they can DEFINATELY do better than MSRP but couldn't quote pricing on something you've yet to contact him about.

So call up Natomas.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Personally I agree with Jed, a difference of around $300 from list wouldn't be good enough to persuade me to buy from someone across the pond. I was in a similar situation with the Fondriest I ordered and decided to pay about $250 more at a LBS than the lowest price I could find on-line. If anything bad happens I can deal with someone directly nearby. The feel good of saving $250 extra would be gone real fast if I had to ship the frame back and forth to another country.

(In the case of the German shop I was just offering a possible option and answering the question)

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Don't you have a PHONE?

Call them for crissakes. Jeezus. I'm telling you. CALL THEM AND ASK FOR CHRIS.

THEY ARE A LOCAL BIKE SHOP WHO IS BEST SET UP FOR TAKING ORDERS/CALLS OVER THE PHONE.

Chris, Manager: 916-641-8640

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, been there...

I live less than an hour's drive from Excel. They do have some nice closeouts, but none in my size that interest me. I checked out the 2004 KG 461 a couple of weeks ago at their shop. It's been improved and has new color options. The Jalabert color is what I want.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
C-40 said:
I live less than an hour's drive from Excel. They do have some nice closeouts, but none in my size that interest me. I checked out the 2004 KG 461 a couple of weeks ago at their shop. It's been improved and has new color options. The Jalabert color is what I want.
I was reading the new Cycling Plus last night and there was an ad for a company in the UK claiming to be the "UK's Official Number 1 LOOK frame dealer" I know nothing about them but their website is

www.velocitybikes.biz

I don't think their website is up yet but their phone number is 023 9265 4400

Have you seen the Jalabert paint in person? If it makes a difference to you, it's almost orange not red. I love the paint but some might be disappointed if they were expecting true red.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Warranty Stuff....

I looked into all this last summer. Total Cycling was the best price (they did respond to my emails but not with lightining speed!). Anyway, I almost bought the KG381 frame from them and then I spoke with the US distributor. If a warranty problem arises, they will not handle it since the frame did not originate from them. They can easily tell this via the frame's serial number. If you buy the frame from overseas then you'd have to return the frame back to them and deal with your warranty issue thru them, etc, etc..... LOOK frames have good reputations but with an expensive carbon frame I didn't think it was worth the risk for the sake of a couple hundred bucks.

So, I ended up getting the bike from River City Bikes, via their website and phone calls. I actually ended up paying less than if I had gotten it from Total Cycling. The guy I dealt with is Jeremy. Super nice guy.

I love the bike. It all worked out great. Later I bought a pair of new Sidi's and LOOK pedals from Total cycling. Got an amazing price and had the package 5 days from when I ordered it. No hassles....

Just wanted to warn you about the warranty situation.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
interesting e-mails with Profirad...

Curious how you found this website. I accidentally placed an order for the frame and got an automatic message confirming my order, but it had a price of 1399 euros which included 16% (193 euros) of tax.

I sent a message requesting correspondence in English and received one message saying the total price would be 1399 euros plus 40 euros shipping. This is $1837. I received another message a few minutes later that quoted a price on only $1237.68 in US dollars, including shipping. I sent an e-mail to Profirad to confirm the price and they said yes it was $1237.68. They don't accept Mastercard, only wire transfer to their bank account. I'm tempted, considering the lowest US price I've found is $1700 from the Natomas Bike Shop.

I'm also afraid that someone goofed in their conversion. I'm going to send one more e-mail making sure that they realize that the price only converts to 969 euros.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.