Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last question of the night. I love my bike but almost have some carbon seatpost envy, saddle envy, and some wheel envy after my two friends just picked up some allez elite 2006 models.

I was looking at the Pinarello Gallileo and I just love the 105 model with the Camp wheels on it but they seem so expensive to buy on their own to go on my bike.

Is the Pinarello a better bike by a long shot or just keep the bike maybe do an upgrade on tires, saddle, and seat post?

P.S. tires have around 500+ miles on them so I may need new ones...Ill take a reccomendation on those too!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a Trek 1500 that had I upgraded to a double with all 105/Utegra. It's a nice bike. I receintly bough a Pinarello Gallileo-Ultegra. It's a much nicer bike, smoother ride and better hanlding. I find that they accelerate about the same but if you still have the Bontrager triple cranks, I susspect the Pinarello will also be faster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, Im sorry but what is the deal with everyone here. All I ever see is Trek bashing on these forums. Sure they are everywhere and sure they aren't the best looking sometimes and yes now that I know more about bikes I probably would like a Cervelo, Orbea, or Pinarello but some of you talk like a Trek is like a HUFFY.

Seemed to work fine for Lance...it is the engine that powers the bike that makes the difference not the Exotic frame. Again like I said I will end up getting something different for my next bike but the elitest anti Trek snobbery gets old sometimes.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It has nothing to do wihth Trek bashing. I owned a Trek 5500 and it was a very nice bike. The current Madone's are also excellent bikes. If you had one of their OCLV frames I would be the first to say go for the upgrades. It's my opinion that the 1500 frame isn't worth speneding significant upgrade $'s on. If you disagree then go for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Josh, You asked for an opinion on whether you should upgrade your Trek 1500 or get a new Pinarello. mke881 and I gave you an answer. Why the defensive reaction?. By the way I still have my Treck 1500 as a second bike and I still enjoy riding it. The fact that the Pinarello is a much nicer bike doesn't make the Trek a bad bike.

·
170 Posts
Whatever your final decision is, just don't make it based on "carbon-envy" alone...it's something I did, and regretted it afterwards.

I'm back riding my low-end 98' Klein and I love it. Every so often I'll add a nice new part to it--wheels, carbon saddle, dura-ace crankset--but only if it will have some real benefit to the ride quality.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
What don't you like about your bike?

I re read your post several times and all I see is a case of bike envy. I would skip the carbon seat post, it adds minimal to the ride. The biggest area of improvement within reason you could add to your bike is the contact points. I'm talking saddles, wheels and/or tires. You haven't given any details whether you are riding the stock stuff, but the majority of bike companies skimp in a few areas; saddles, tires, sometimes wheels and headsets. Myself, I would want 105 components or better, a saddle that fits like the frame is supposed to fit and a wheel tire combo I like. You end up with a few better quality components that you can swap onto your next bike of envy and you already proved to yourself that you WANT these components. That would be my limits in your case.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We will bash your Trek 1500 because its a low-end aluminum frame. If you had one of the Trek 2-thousand series bikes (ugly Kleins) THEN i'd say go for a new wheelset or something. Low fatigue life, not fantastic to begin with, and upgrading is EXPENSIVE.

Keep the 1500 around for commutes, but get yourself the Gallileo; you'll be way happy with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts