Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Trek 5200 and I am considering upgrading to a Dura Ace 10 speed triple.

Is it worth upgrading a 2004 frame?

What size front derailleur clamp do I need?

Do I need an English or Italian bottom bracket?

Thanks,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like you have extra money to throw away. I'm guessing your 5200 came with ultegra. Best bang for your buck. Wait until it wears out or you crash it. If your current setup is Ultegra 6600 I may let you sell it to me real cheap since it isn't good enough for your needs!!! But seriously, IMO for what your going to pay for DA and what little your going to gain in performance / weight savings it just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swift65 said:
Sounds like you have extra money to throw away. I'm guessing your 5200 came with ultegra. Best bang for your buck. Wait until it wears out or you crash it. If your current setup is Ultegra 6600 I may let you sell it to me real cheap since it isn't good enough for your needs!!! But seriously, IMO for what your going to pay for DA and what little your going to gain in performance / weight savings it just isn't worth it.

I have a double 9 speed Ultegra and I need a triple for the riding I do. I tried a compact crank but I still need more low end for the steep hills and mountains I ride on.

I think I will stick with Ultegra after reading all the post dealing with the subject.

I think I need an English bottom bracket and I don’t think I need a clamp for the front derailleur?

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
e-clamp-sia

Jetski said:
II think I need an English bottom bracket and I don’t think I need a clamp for the front derailleur?
Yes, you need an English BB. You can easily determine the seat tube diameter with a caliper (available cheap at your hardware store) or just by measuring the length of a piece of string wrapped around it, then dividing by 3.14. Generally confused about your "don’t think I need a clamp for the front derailleur?" comment. What are you trying to say/ask? Do you have a braze-on derailleur? Do you have a braze-on derailleur but are using a seat tube clamp? Please clarify.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front Derailleur

Kerry Irons said:
Yes, you need an English BB. You can easily determine the seat tube diameter with a caliper (available cheap at your hardware store) or just by measuring the length of a piece of string wrapped around it, then dividing by 3.14. Generally confused about your "don’t think I need a clamp for the front derailleur?" comment. What are you trying to say/ask? Do you have a braze-on derailleur? Do you have a braze-on derailleur but are using a seat tube clamp? Please clarify.
There is already a bracket that is screwed into the carbon fiber down tube that my Ultegra 9 speed double front derailleur bolts onto. Will that bracket work with a new Ultegra 10 speed triple front derailleur? If so what front derailleur do I need to order, braze-on or clamp?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Braze on

Jetski said:
There is already a bracket that is screwed into the carbon fiber down tube that my Ultegra 9 speed double front derailleur bolts onto. Will that bracket work with a new Ultegra 10 speed triple front derailleur? If so what front derailleur do I need to order, braze-on or clamp?
The bracket that is screwed onto the down tube mimics the original units that were brazed onto steel frames. You can't use a clamp type derailleur with that bracket in place. You MUST use a braze-on derailleur, and it should work fine with a double or triple derailleur.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kerry Irons said:
The bracket that is screwed onto the down tube mimics the original units that were brazed onto steel frames. You can't use a clamp type derailleur with that bracket in place. You MUST use a braze-on derailleur, and it should work fine with a double or triple derailleur.
Kerry, thanks for the help.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts