Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 2005 Ksyrium SL's in great condition with about 4000 miles on them. I'm think of selling them and getting a new set of Dura Ace/Open Pro wheels from BWW. The new wheels will be about $50 more than I can sell Ksyrium for. Should I get rid of the Ksyriums? FYI I weigh about 220 lbs.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
What price is your peace of mind worth? Mine's worth $50 at least. I have a fine set of OpenPro/DuraAce wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse and I know if I have an issue I can look after it myself at non-silly prices.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
How have the red aluminum nipple held up?
Perfect. There aren't many miles on this set of wheels (too damn wintery) but I've got red aluminum nippled wheelsets (6 sets dating from mid 90's to this newer one) that I haven't had one issue with. I build my own wheels (except for this BWW wheelset) and I lube the nipples with anti-seize. This keeps the threads nice and free.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went from Kysriums SSC SL to Ult/OP front and DA/OP rear. Got them for 320 w/ shipping from CC on sale. The OP's don't seem as fast, but they are much more comfortable. The big thing for me was that if I broke a spoke I could make it home and easily fix it myself.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
PSC said:
I went from Kysriums SSC SL to Ult/OP front and DA/OP rear. Got them for 320 w/ shipping from CC on sale. The OP's don't seem as fast, but they are much more comfortable. The big thing for me was that if I broke a spoke I could make it home and easily fix it myself.
as opposed to?

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Seem faster?

PSC said:
The OP's don't seem as fast,
Any objective data to back that up? Given how poorly Ksyriums test in the wind tunnel, this seems questionable. Also given that tests by both MAVIC and Bicycle Quarterly have shown that riders cannot tell (by feel) much about wheels, the only reliable measure is a stopwatch and repeated trials on a known course. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
$50? i would do it in a heartbeat. Superior hubs, easy to fix. Mate, if you damage a rim on those Ks you wont get much at all for the set.

besides, $50 to go from old to new is a good deal anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts