Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased a CAAD8 R5000. After riding the Syanpse Carbon 2 as a demo for 10 days I found the R5000 to be very rough and it just beat me up. My LBS has been great and offered me a leftover 2005 Six13 R5000 to ride for a few days to see if I liked it. What a difference! The Six13 has the stiffness of the CAAD8 but not the same "give" when going up a hill. It is much softer over the road than the CAAD8 R5000.

So, my question is this: Any reason to pass on a 2005 Six13 DuraAce for $3200? If I dont get the Six13 I will get the Synapse Carbon 2.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2005 Six13

You probably already know this but the 2005 frame is different than the 2006 because it has the carbon seat tube and I also heard that the head tube area has been built up a little. Besides that I think the main difference is the component group. If you're not a big and aggressive guy I'm not sure it would make much difference. I have seen the 2005 Six13 DuraAce for $3000 OTD and for that price it's a screaming deal.

I also rode the R5000, the Synapse and the Six13 and had the same conclusion. I even had a chance to ride the System Six, and although it's a fun bike there was something about the Six13 that I just preferred. I just picked up my Six13 today (2006 Team 2 but my LBS let me upgrade the wheels to Ksyrium SL's and the bars to the K-Wings plus a couple of other things) and did the first 30 mile ride. Very impressed and very happy.

Best of luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Gary,

That is not a bad price for a 2005 version Six13 if you don't mind a two years old model, I just bought a 2006 team frame and built up with Campy Record and really enjoy the ride on the six13 vs my old Caad 7. the major complain on the early version is the seattube being flex and that is why Cannondale went back to alum tube instead of carbon. Or you can wait and spend the money on the Systems Six.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Dura-Ace wheels is OK is not top of the line.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Gary,

Ask the shop if they are willing to swap out the wheel set to Mavic ?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Gary,

Did you get the Mavic wheels ? Please post some pictures.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is a great thread since I have not been able to find a Synapse, Six13 (team or pro) and/or System Six in stock in my size anywhere. I loved the ride of the Synapse Carbon 1 & 2, but don't love the paint scheme's. Petty huh? But that amount of hard earned money, I want my bike to give me a major woody you know? ...I think the Six13 looks awesome, as does the System Six, although I have yet to see a System Six in stock anywhere yet.

Has anyone compared the ride quality of a System Six to a Six13 Team? Thanks!
Gary

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Do a search on a forum I believed other members had compared Six13 vs System Six.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really liked the ride of the C2. No losers in this decision, all very comfortable bikes. As said before I liked the stiffness of the Six13 over the C2....but I could have been very happy with the C2 as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
zamboni said:
Dura-Ace wheels is OK is not top of the line.
I'd disagree. I'd prefer the DA over Mavics, but I'm admittedly not a Mavic fan, as I've had nothing but problems with them. I'll be the first to admit they (Mavic) have the best marketing of any wheel, I just think they fall short on execution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.