Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to this forum, relatively old to cycling overall. I was recently looking to purchase a roadbike and, during my recent searches, have started coming across CX bikes and I am now deadset on one of these instead.

Firstly, I cannot test-ride any of these bikes because, locally, nobody owns one that is anywhere near my size (all my friends are like 5' 5" or shorter) so I am going to pull the trigger and purchase a used one. What I found was a Large Devindi Tosca (2006). I checked Devinci's sizing charte and I fall dead center of their "large" (6'0", 86cm inseam) so I am confident in it's likelihood of being "my size". What I am curious about is what people's opinions of this bike are. I know they are a relatively small company, but they're Canadain (much like I am) and, even though I can't afford to purchase one new, I would like to at least own some hown grown hardware for once.

Essentially, I am looking for opinions on this bike. I am an avid cyclist. I do some endurance races a few times a year, and ride 3-4 times a week. I am looking for a roadbike, to be completely honest, but mostly for training only. I like the idea of the CX in case I want to have some offroad fun ... and there are a few races I go to in a year that a CX rig would be pretty ideal. I don't need a superbike; I am not that good. I don't need something feather light; I want robust (not going to be hucking this CX bike, but some moderate trail use will be in order). I weigh about 165-175lbs depending on how recently a holiday has passed.

Price range is $1,000 all-in ... that'd be taxes, shipping, and the bike (obviously). I live in Canada, so anything OUTSIDE of Canada costs more (US, about $150 shipping + 20% on top of that for taxes and duties). IE: a $1,000 bike will end up around $1,400.

Thanks for any input

Edit: Link to the bike: http://www.d4m.com/axion/devinci/anciensite/2006/eng/bike-pages/cyclocross/tosca.htm
The one I found, the crank is now a 48-32, and the cassette is a 11-32 LX (hoping he still has the stockers tho).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hiya,

I own a 2006 Devinci Tosca and use it for everything from commuting, road training, touring, cross country riding on some local singletrack trails and of course cyclocross racing. Speaking as an owner (and a dealer of Devinci bikes) here's what I think of the 2006 Tosca:

The frame itself is really nice. The tubesets for the Devinci bikes are made in Canada and Devinci handles the welding, painting and assembly at their factory in Chicoutimi, Quebec. Like all of their bikes, that Tosca will have a lifetime warranty on the frame. The Tosca's a well-designed frame ... it has a guesset at the head/downtube weld and runs the front derailleur cable down the downtube. The rear spacing is 130mm so road wheels will fit fine. I personally like that Devinci goes with tall headtubes on their cyclocross bikes - I think the large has a 170mm or so which is great. The bottom bracket height is of the "euro" style (ie. effing high) so you won't have to worry about clipping a pedal in corners or on off camber situations. The stock fork is admittedly beefy, but hey, it's held up well so there's that at least.

As for the component spec, Devinci opted for a 9sp setup so people can pull all sorts of craziness w/ the cassette. I ended up chainging mine to a 9sp Ultegra 12-28 which has worked out really well. My only problem with the bike is the Truvativ cranks that were spec'd on it. Those things had serious durability issues and are commonly replaced under warranty. Keep an eye on your driveside crank arm. If you ever feel/hear play, check that it's not coming unbonded from the hollow axle spindle.

Other than that ... I really like the bike. If I was in the position to buy it again I would probably do so (though I might set mine up w/ SRAM). Hope that info helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.