Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, and it sucks that people freak out about silly stuff, but, I hope my few posts and pics of the bike in my living room disspell any shill talk.

Now, I just got my Le Champion SL yesterday, and it is everything I hoped it would be. I got several e-mails from BikesDirect.com during the process letting me know the status, including tracking number once it shipped. It shipped and arrived right when promised. Unfortunately Michigan weather has kept me inside, so I've only got trainer time on it (which was a great oportunity to fine tune the set up). The bike feels great, is unbelievably light, the parts spec is unbelievable, and my friends all can't get over the fact that I could trash the frame and still come out ahead. That said, the frame looks good, and the welds are cleaner than those on my Trek 8000 MTB. I keep looking for things to complain about, and can't find any. Having a room full of shop mechanics here to admire and assemble it I'm sure helps, but the thing is solid. One maybe minor complaint, the ultegra FD isn't as smooth as I'd like with the compact crankset, but I've read about that problem for everyone. Just wish they'd account for that and spec it with the FSA FD to begin with. Anyway, there's a real good experience. Maybe more of these will convince BD.com that they don't need to fake it :)

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
Looks pretty. If I were to crash my bike right now, I'd get one of those for racing. Have fun and put that thing into good use..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my 06 Le Champ

Just got my 06 LeChamp 2 days ago. Came home from a trip and it was there waiting for me. I haven't had the chance to take it out yet, weather sucks here. I'm still getting the set up dialed in. I am still amazed that there is such a great deal out there. You are right...bikes direct was great. I e-mailed them back and forth a dozen times, all with a timely and friendly response. They were very helpful. Everybody on this board needs to get off the shill bandwagon...they offer a very nice bike at a great price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sizing

I'm considering buying this exact bike, and i'm curious about sizing.. i'm 5'9.5", 30.5" inseam. I'm thinking either 54 or 56... probably 56.

Could you please advise on your measurements vs. bike size, and how well it fits?

Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I got a 61cm, which came with 175 crank arms, and 110 stem. The saddle height seems perfect for me with this size, with the ritchey logo centered between the seat and the top of the seat tube. The top tube is almost 2 inches longer than my old bike that was a 58-59 83 Trek, which always felt cramped. I think that I'm going to flip the stem, because I have a huge drop to from the seat to the bars. They left very little steerer to work with, which was nice because I didn't ahve to deal with cutting it, but I'd be upset if it were any lower. I don't know if that would be an issue on a smaller frame.

I've only got about 50 road miles on it + another 100 or so on the trainer, but it is very comfortable, stiff enough, but not harsh. I get back from riding it, and can't imagine a bike that could feel better. What more could I ask for?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've had one since October. I dumped the drivetrain onto my cyclocross bike and then built up the moto with dura ace. The motobecane is my race bike for this year and typically will only ride it in perfect weather or on race day. I'm pretty happy with it. I bought the black and red one.

For the record I'm 6'4". Have a 61 cm. Have the stem in negative rise mode. I needed a longer seatpost as the 250mm isn't long enough. I've got about 5" drop from saddle to handlebar. Mine comes in at 16.4 pounds with dura ace 7700 pedals, heavy seatpost and 200g saddle (I sold the saddle that came with it). I figure I could get it to 15.9 pounds if I bought new pedals, saddle, and seatpost. But really don't care. I'll get some carbon cages eventually and probably call it good.

I'm going to buy a 2006 model when I get my tax return. I want the silver one. I will do the same in that I'll dump most of the drivetrain parts onto my B cyclocross bike, then I'll complete the moto build with either ultegra or 105 10sp and use the bike as my main training bike (fender it for winter) so I don't have to thrash my cyclocross race bikes in the winter anymore. I really want that AC 420 wheelset. I'll basically use that as my main race wheelset and just use the AC 350's for races with huge climbs.

If you add up the wholesale prices (what a shop would pay) for the parts on this bike it is more than what BD is selling the bike for. Last year several people were buying these bikes and parting them out on ebay for profit.

I'll post a couple pics.

matt

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here's my Motobecane SL. It's currently completely thrashed and needes to be detailed. I use velomax circuit's for training. They're bombproof and cheap.

These are the AC sprint 350's that came with mine. They come in at 1327g. Unbelievably light. I just got a new cam plate from AC and once I get it installed I'll start breaking them in slowly. I'm afraid of destroying them because they're so light.

The shifters, cranks, rear derailleur and cassette went on my primary 'cross bike. (note that this 'cross bike is in winter training mode not 'cross racing mode)

I use this saddle on all of my bikes. 25$ from PP and 200g. It fits me very well. The seatpost is 400mm x 27.2 and weighs 265g. I cut it down because I really only needed about 290mm and it now weigh's 220g. It was 20$ from PP. I might upgrade to use alien carbon this summer. And I might get a real SLR also.

I'm rockin Dura Ace 7700 pedals on 2 bikes. They work amazingly. However, they're old and weigh a lot @ 290g.

looking a little crusty. these bottle cages will be replaced someday. 60g each.

Anyways, I plan on buying a 2006 motobecane sl soon. I'll put the shifters cranks, rear der, and cassette on my back up 'cross bike and then replace those parts probably with 105 10 speed once it becomes common and cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Size

VictoriaJujitsu said:
I'm considering buying this exact bike, and i'm curious about sizing.. i'm 5'9.5", 30.5" inseam. I'm thinking either 54 or 56... probably 56.

Could you please advise on your measurements vs. bike size, and how well it fits?

Thanks!
I'm 5-11 with a 32" inseam. I got the 56cm. Good fit. Actually if they had a 55cm I would have gotten that, but the 56 is just fine for me.

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
Shill!

imetis said:
First, and it sucks that people freak out about silly stuff, but, I hope my few posts and pics of the bike in my living room disspell any shill talk.
Here's mine. I bought it in June 05, and have ridden it almost exclusively since then. I intended it to be a nasty weather / backup bike, but somehow it seems to be the only one getting any road time.... about 2500 miles so far.

Swapped out immediately - Ultegra brakes replaced the Textros, Maxxis Detonators replaced the Vittorias
Swapped out recently - Dura Ace / OP's replaced the AC350's. The 350's are nice, but I am into durability over a few grams saved....

{{snip}}

Oh, and I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam - I opted for the 54 for the reach...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys.. I just ordered a 54cm in the silver... I checked out the fuji equivalent frame at a LBS, and it fit really well.

Thanks for all the pics.. looks like they're getting some use.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish it was getting more use, but winter finally decided it had to hit! Single digits (Farenheit) is too cold for me, and I don't want to coat the new drivetrain with salt right off the bat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts