Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SF
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just on the usa cycling website to renew my license, and i didn't see anything about cx cats. all i saw were the usual options for road/track and norba. is it definite that there will be cx cats this year? and if so, how are they determined? i dont race road, so i'll likely always be cat 5 on the road...does this mean that i'll only get to race c's because cx cats correspond to uscf cats?

i race mtb....so do i get a norba license, a cx license, both? most mtb races are requiring norba, and in the past that's what i have gotten, but at this point it is not clear to me whether mtb races will honor a uscf license, and/or whether a cx race will honor a norba license.

am i the only one that finds this stuff confusing??

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I am Cat4 on Road and Track. My '06 license came through with a Cat4 Cross so it does exist. I cannot answer the rest of your questions. - TF

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There is no Cat 5 for CX. Cat 4 is supposed to be for "beginners". I don't know for sure what will happen, but my guess is that this won't change which CX race you'll be in, at least for the first year while they sort this out.

This year there were some CX races that made you do 'C' races if you were a Cat 5 on the road, but most allowed you to race anything you wanted (many times people did multiple races in a day too). I think roughly the former 'A' races will likely become Cat 1/2/3, the former 'B' races will become Cat 3/4, and the former 'C' races will become Cat 4/5.

I've also heard of people already requesting and getting CX upgrades based on their prior CX racing too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
GearDaddy said:
I've also heard of people already requesting and getting CX upgrades based on their prior CX racing too.
I sent in my results from last year and I was given cat 02 CX. Apparently, in the Seattle esries, cat A will become 1/2, B's the 3's, and C's will be 4. But that's just what I've heard from people and I have not seen proof yet.

I also hear that if you've already established yourself in a certain category (ie you are a solid B racer) then your local officials will give you the appropriate catory upgrade if you ask.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am going to wait till it gets closer to the season then ask for an upgrade to cat 3 for CX. They base your CX cat on your road and mtb cats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts