Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some weirdness with my new Veloce 10 spd. ergo shifters. It's been suggested they are a downgrade from the '06.

Wondering if I should try to get my hands on a pair of '06 Centaur shifters instead.

Thoughts?

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
I am in the same boat as jd3. I did buy an extra '06 Centaur group from Probikekit a few months back that is still boxed and waiting for a frame.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

I was going to tell you not to bother looking, since most stores blew out the '06 stock long ago, but here's some:

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/EP_CENTAUR_ALLOY.html?action=currency&id=USD

The only difference between these and Chorus is the use of a bushing on the main index shaft instead of ball bearings and the aluminum brake and finger levers. With these levers, the right thumb button can shift through all the cogs with one push and the left can move the FD through it's entire range in one push, covering 4 clicks.

This is the best I could find for Chorus:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Campagnolo Chorus

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Douger said:
I'm having some weirdness with my new Veloce 10 spd. ergo shifters. It's been suggested they are a downgrade from the '06.

Wondering if I should try to get my hands on a pair of '06 Centaur shifters instead.

Thoughts?
I have older Daytona and new Veloce QS... they are certainly different, but I like them both. The older Campy allows you to dump all the gears but the newer stuff has a very crisp and precise feel to it when "escaping" one click at a time.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. :thumbsup:

· Proud luddite
7,920 Posts
Douger said:
thanks for the info.

would '06 centaur shifters be compatible with '08 veloce QS derailleurs (both front & rear)?
I don't have that particular combination but I have quite the Campy mix on my bike...old Chorus front derr., new Centaur rear derr., a new Veloce front shifter and an older Daytona rear shifter...and they all work just fine together. My bike is a bit of a mutt but I love it.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

Douger said:
thanks for the info.

would '06 centaur shifters be compatible with '08 veloce QS derailleurs (both front & rear)?
A QS left shifter has a quicker engagment of the finger lever with shift cable (less dead travel). Other than that's it's no different. QS only applies to the left shifter and FD. A QS FD requires one more click (4) to cover the full range of travel, so the required force is a little less. All are cross compatible.

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
so what is really all the fuss about QS then? Everyone seems to be saying that Centaur sucks now because of the QS, if you're racing then chances are that you won't be going out of the 53T anyways

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.