Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people.

new here and can use some help.

i'm putting together a 2007 CAAD8 and have an issue with the fork. it comes with the original FSA headset, though i have no idea what model it is. i believe it's an integrated headset since there's no separate cups to press in. the cups are built into the headtube. i think i've got everything assembled correctly. but when done, there's a slight bit of metal-on-metal "noise" when i turn the fork. it's not loud and doesn't feel like anything is grinding. but definitely not silence and "greasy" smooth. and yes, i've greased everything i need to grease.

also, the crown race on the bottom has a bevel on the inside, which makes me think that it can't be set in like most crown races. am i correct? or does it need to be pressed in???

any suggestions is much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
it comes with the original FSA headset,
So, it's 6 years old. Maybe buy a new one? They don't last forever.

Hint. Take the individual bearings and hold the outer race in one hand and turn with some pressure the inner race with the fingers of the other and see if you feel anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just took everything apart and made sure i got them installed correctly. i did. but also noticed a bit of play on the bottom bearings. i pretty much came to the same conclusion as you suggested.. time for a new headset...

thanks for confirming my suspicions.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Here's another tip. If you are a thrifty person such as myself. The upper and lower bearings (Campy or "Italian" style btw), are interchangeable. It's the lower one that gets all the abuse from water and grit. If the old upper is still OK, you could try flushing and regreasing what was the lower bearing, and then swapping them. If the lower bearing is totally shot, just replace it and leave the old upper in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.