Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be getting a lot of spoke noise from the rear wheel on a set of Campy Neutron wheels. The noise happens when I am both pedaling and not. It makes more noise at lower speeds, and seems rhythmic. When I check the spokes, I can feel a few of them "click" or move slightly, but only when I first test them. Then they seem fine. I have had one bike shop check the tension on the spokes, and was told it they were fine. Anyone else ever had this issue with these wheels? Any suggestions?

Additional info. The wheels have about 5,000 miles or so on them. I have had them checked about every 6 months. I have never had any issues other than this with these wheels. They are great wheels!

Any help with this would be great! It is driving me nuts! twang, twang, twang up the hill!!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
kwhite01 said:
I seem to be getting a lot of spoke noise from the rear wheel on a set of Campy Neutron wheels. The noise happens when I am both pedaling and not. It makes more noise at lower speeds, and seems rhythmic. When I check the spokes, I can feel a few of them "click" or move slightly, but only when I first test them. Then they seem fine. I have had one bike shop check the tension on the spokes, and was told it they were fine. Anyone else ever had this issue with these wheels? Any suggestions?

Additional info. The wheels have about 5,000 miles or so on them. I have had them checked about every 6 months. I have never had any issues other than this with these wheels. They are great wheels!

Any help with this would be great! It is driving me nuts! twang, twang, twang up the hill!!!!
Lube the nipples??? If that doesn't work, lube the j-bends. Only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ride-Fly for the suggestions. I talked to another bike mechanic last night. He told me to clean and lube where the spokes cross one another on the rear wheel. They were apperantly rubbing causing the noise I was hearing. Did that last night, and the ride this morning was noise free! Never heard of doing this to a wheel before. Seems strange that you would have to place lube where the spokes cross and touch one another. But, it worked!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the same problem and it's where they cross and rub each other. It's a pain to lube them for every ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
siclmn said:
I have the same problem and it's where they cross and rub each other. It's a pain to lube them for every ride.
siclmn, you might want to try a slightly heavier lube. I used a chain lube between the spokes. Have done several rides since, and still no noise. Can't hurt to try!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts