Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
714 Posts
as for the crankset,
a move to offer outboard/oversize, as does the shimano offering.
seems a theoretical advantage more than a practical one. just seems the '07 bb juncture may squirm around. campy has presumably worked this out to be solid as can be, avoiding any problems the likes of which they had in the past with new designs such as dt ratchet shifter accuracy...
there has been no prob w/ my record carb cranks & chorus BB (i went w/ chorus in the belief all alu is stronger down there) for me, but the campy bb does demand the frame bb shell to have good chasing and facing, or else the bearings will fail readily due to the dual brgs on the drive side needing to be precisely aligned. also, the torque of the sq spindle bb must be done near to spec or could be prob.
the new '07 design may be more "forgiving" in these areas.

the oversive '07 bb scheme may result in a stiffer more durable set, but who among us is really slowed by their record sq bb set? the amount of reduced flex and bearing drag may well be undetectable by the human leg.

brakes,
seems a way to remove a *bit* 'o weight, cannot see any practical braking improvement from this.

front shifter/fd,
i noticed the front shifting on my record ultra does have a long throw, and in fact, the outer limit click position is not necessary, as it does not rub the chain in the next-to-limit position.
i have been told the long throw and outer limit postion of the pre '07 is to accommodate a triple...
also, as an aside, the trim is rarely needed, as nothing flexes enough in the area to create chain-to-fd rub, short of the extreme "cross shifting" positions.
still, the QT fd may be the most pratical real world improvement of these changes in terms of noticable advantange, or even difference, on the road.

fea said:
What do you think?

Somehow i prefer the previous/current one better

· Registered
17 Posts
What Italian shop is going to have it available in September? I'm getting ready to build up a bike now. If its going to be available that soon I may just build it up now w/ Centaur upgrade to 07 Record later in the year.

· Registered
29 Posts
I don't like the look of the new group set at all the crancks with the big hole in th centre are ugly they'd be a real ***** to clean as for the brks I'd want to be able to stop first before saving a few grams,I've been waiting to up grade my groupset but after been with Campy for 6years I'm leaving for Shimano DA 10 nver thought I would but I'm simply not going for this latest isore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
397 Posts
fea said:
What do you think?

Somehow i prefer the previous/current one better
Are the chainrings new for '07?

None of the LBSs had a campy 39 (of any vintage) in stock when I tried to buy one recently. I was then told QBP was out. So we had to wait a couple weeks for them to restock and send us one.

I picked it up yesterday and it looks like the '07 pictured above. It's not polished like the '02 ring it's replacing, and "Made in Italy" isn’t stamped in it either. It still says Campy, but I think it looks like a cheap knock off.

What happened to the polished chainrings?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.