Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new bike in the $3000 - $3500 range and came across a 2007 Specialized Tarmac S-Works with Campy Record components for $3500. I was wondering what everyone thought about an older, higher end bike vs. a 2010/11 midrange (ie Madone 5.2). I'm pretty torn...

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
dfriedman44 said:
I'm in the market for a new bike in the $3000 - $3500 range and came across a 2007 Specialized Tarmac S-Works with Campy Record components for $3500. I was wondering what everyone thought about an older, higher end bike vs. a 2010/11 midrange (ie Madone 5.2). I'm pretty torn...
Specialized claims that the newer Tarmac SL-3 (since 2009) has nothing in common with the older Tarmac SL-2 (2007), but the SL-2 itself is a great bike already. A friend has one and he really loves it. However, it seems to me to have fairly short wheelbase, which makes for very quick handling but this is not something that everybody likes.

Otherwise, if the bike is in good condition I have no hesitation in buying a well-maintained few years old high-end bike. The joker is, how can you tell that it's been well-maintained, beyond cosmetic inspection? I have bought from personal friends before, but buying from a total stranger I would ask for it to be brought to a reputable LBS for a complete overhaul (incl. BB removal and cleaning, headset check, etc.).

·
Registered
57 Posts
dfriedman44 said:
Is it a used or new 2007?
Campy is good stuff... I was looking at a 2010 S-works Modular (frame & crank) for 2700.00. If it's in good shape sounds reasonable. I have a friend who got a gold frame new... I believe it was an 07 and it looks sweet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dfriedman44 said:
It is a 61" - it's down in Orange County, but I might beat you to it!
You should... and if you get it enjoy it!
I have an Orbea that I've been regretting lately! Had warranty issues and it 51 days old in the shop 31 days!
You just don't see that happening with Specialize Products!
My next bike will be an S-Works!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
If it's 'new' as in, you'd be the original owner and get a warranty, then it may be a good deal. If OTOH it's 'new' as in the owner never rode it and you get no warranty, pass and get a new Tarmac. When dealing with used CF frames, it's not worth the risk, IMO.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Because carbon fiber frames explode when looked at funny.

I really like my SL2. It is a race bike though so may feel twitchy. I also have 2 OCLV frames from 1996 that are going strong. I use one for commuting in the spring and fall.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Maximus_XXIV said:
Because carbon fiber frames explode when looked at funny.
Nope. It's because (unlike steel/ ti/ alu) if CF does suffer a defect or have its strength compromised, it may do so internally, with no external signs. That given, a buyer has no real way of knowing, so... no warranty IMO = not worth the risk.

You may have experienced a 100% success rate in your used CF purchases, but you can't know the OP will fare as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.