Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2007 Trek Madone 5.2SL I bought last year in November that was rarely ridden. I looked over the frame prior to buying it for any damage but did not find any. Recently I have begun riding it more because of the warmer temperatures. A few days ago when I was wiping the bike down, I noticed in the upper triangle section between the seat stays a fracture in either the paint or the carbon? I tapped the area with a coin, and it did not feel dead. When I rub my finger over the suspected fracture I can feel it. I have been riding the Trek, and the quality doesn't feel off at all. Is this suspected fracture anything to worry about?

Carmine Plastic bottle Plastic Bottle Leather

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Happens a lot on older bikes, and I'm 99% sure Trek would call that a paint crack. Sometimes it happens on areas where there is some stress/flexing, sometimes at the OCLV joints. Nearly always paint and not structural. If you get worried about it or it gets a lot worse have you local Trek dealer start a warranty claim and have the Trek guys look at it. Usually it's just brittle paint.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Since you have already tapped the area of the crack with a coin and it didn't feel (sound) dead, it appears to be just a crack in the paint. Carbon frames can flex more than paint.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies. It would make sense for the paint to crack rather than the carbon, especially given the age.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts