Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola

I think I am going to get the 08 caad9 5. I think its a pretty good deal. I was also drawn to the Systemsix 1, but that bike is well over 3,000. With a nice set of wheels and maybe a new crankset the caad9 will rock pretty hard. Plus I can keep the wheels/whatever else i upgrade when i get a new bike. Anyone have any suggestions for a light wheelset for the caad? Or any other components that might be worth the upgrade? Its a 105/ultegra combo group. I'm going to race with this bike as soon as I can.

Much appreciated!:thumbsup:

· Registered
98 Posts
Check out Dura ace wheels the 7800 or 7801SL they seem very good value for money right now, although I've ridden the Kysrium ES and SL on CAAD7, Six 13 and System 6 and they are rugged and light.
It does depend on the type of racing you're going to be doing, any TT's and the Planet X 50's are hard to beat, budget for Swisstop brake pads and they make great road racing wheels too. Hard as nails with alot of people using them for cyclo cross.

· Registered
136 Posts
I just took delivery of my CAAD9 about two months ago; one of the best bikes I have ridden! I immediately exchanged the brakes, rear cog, rear derailleur and both shifters to Dura-Ace and will soon exchange the crankset, front derailleur and chain to Dura-Ace as well.

The CAAD9 105/Ultegra combo is great however, if you crave more precise shifting and lighter parts, Dura-Ace is super sweet! I think the CAAD9 is rather compliant for a 6000 series aluminum frame, and there is no questioning its stiffness and strength...spot on! Thus, I think it is a great platform to build on...the money you saved on buying a CAAD9 over a SystemSix or SuperSix can now be invested in upgrade parts for your CAAD9.

For wheels, I'd consider Chris King Classics on Mavic Open Pro rims, Shimano Dura Ace or Roval Fuse SL. I ordered a set of Industry Nine Egos in all silver however I am concerned about the ride quality. The I9 wheel is light and really stiff...we'll see. I did however, change my tires to Vittoria Evo CX open tubulars and that enhanced the ride a great deal. When my I9's come, I am going to use a set of Specialized S-Works Roubaix Open Tubular tires; I think that will help against the stiff wheelset.

So, upgrades to consider:

New Handlebar (WTF...That ControlTech is uncomfortible)
New Saddle (I like having sex! Get a Specialized BG; I have a Toupe Gel)
New Wheels (They are garbage; get something light, stiff and compliant)
New Tires (Fast rolling and shock absorbing; most any Open Tubular shall suffice)

Enjoy your new CAAD9

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a lot all. I hear good things about the DT swiss 1450's...might go with those...plus they would look sweet on the white caad frame. Tire selection and saddle comments noted...i also enjoy a comfortable saddle! Yea I'm gonna go order all this stuff this week sometime, hopefully I'll be riding sometime this year ha h:mad2: a.

· Registered
136 Posts
I just experimented with my tire pressure on my Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX tires this week. I have dropped tire pressure to 110 psi from 120 psi. The bike is night and day smoother, quieter and seems to be just as fast rolling and handles as well, if not better! I commute 20 miles each way, every day and the 10 psi change has make my commute all the more enjoyable. I have also noticed that my rear wheel stays put better; I was noticing that sometimes, on harder accelerations, the rear wheel would hop and skip off the road...problem solved!!! Quite frankly, I couldn't imagine a more satisfying ride; just another example of just how amazing the CAAD9 is! Fast, smooth and tight, crisp handling.

I also got my new handlebar and stem setup. The OEM ControlTech aluminum bar was driving me nuts! I love ControlTech MTB bars however their road bars need some help...the overall geometry and fit of the bar was way off. I upgraded to the Deda Elementi SuperNatural handlebar and Zero100 stem, both in the dark metal finish! Both parts are made of tripple butted 7075 aluminum; they are much lighter and way stiffer. For starters, the handlebar fits me infinantly better. Though both bars are marked as a 42cm, the new Deda is a good 1.5-2cm narrower, which I like and the drops are way shorter and shallower. The minor geometry changes to the bar have increased my comfort and fit to such a degree, it shocked the hell out of me. I can breathe easier, climb better and descend more confidently! Also, the bar/stem setup is much stiffer, bringing me a new sense of confidence with my control and handling. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

Coming soon...

Industry Nine Ego Clincher wheels (Polished Silver)
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 Gruppo (The Whole Thing)

· Registered
136 Posts
Well, I scored some more goodies for my beloved CAAD9; this bike never ceases to amaze me! I got my hands on a set of lightly used 6600 Ultegra cranks which I retrofit a set of 7700 D/Ace 53/39 chain rings on, because I had them. I also got a Thomson Elite seatpost in place of the Cannondale C2. To my surprise, these were some of the most significant changes I have made.

For starters, the front shifting is smoother and faster than ever before...HUGE difference between my new setup and the 105 that was on there. Also, I have noticed a significant improvement in efficiency. Maybe it is increased stiffness or reduced weight however, the 6600 crankset spins easier and smoother.

As for the seatpost, I had been warned about installing a 7000 series aluminum post on such a bike; it would be too harsh, they said. Interestingly enough, I find that the added road feel is quite pleasant. The bike doesn't feel any harsher but more lively. I do have a greater sense for the road and feel more in-tune to my ride. I had to change the seatpost, mostly to do with the clamp. On the Cannondale C2 post, the nose of my saddle was either too high or too low; with the Thomson, I have infinite adjust!

In short while, I will upgrade the seatpost to the new Deda Zero100 in dark metal finish, to match the handlebar and stem however, this Thomson was free (lightly used) so I am not complaining.

Since my first parking lot ride on my CAAD9, I was truly amazed with its caliber performance and ride quality; truly a spectacular bike. With each upgrade, more and more positive qualities of the bike are exposed. From the factory, this bike is a wolf in sheep's clothing. One of the best road frames I have ridden, just masked with average, inexpensive parts.

I'm actually quite glad I saw the difference between 105 and D/Ace as I was certain I would never truly notice a difference, and going to D/Ace would simply be for snobbery. I never rode this bike with the 105 kit...as soon as I got it, I upgraded the rear cogs, rear derailleur, brakes and shifters to 7800 D/Ace. With my new Ultegra/D-Ace crankset, I am blown away by the improved efficiency and shift performance. Ultegra and D/Ace really are worth the money; I am glad I figured that out! I still have the 105 front derailleur however, I am not too worried about that.

In the fall, when 7900 comes out, I will most likely upgrade the entire gruppo however, now is not the time for that...I will enjoy what I have got.

I still remember my debate as to whether or not I should pull the trigger on a Specialized Tarmac SL2 or a Cannondale SuperSix...I am so glad I got my CAAD9...the best bike ever. I really don't have much to go before this becomes my Uber bike...my Industry Nine Ego's are on order, but like everything else Industry Nine, these wheels take a while. I think I am going on 7 or 8 weeks of waiting now...whatever, they will be worth it. The Shimano R-550's I have are some of the worst wheels I have ever ridden, and they are ugly too. I have a set of brand new Specialized S-Works Roubaix Open Tubular tires that I want to experiment with too...I have almost worn down my Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX tires...that's what I get for shredding!

I hope everyone else is enjoying his CAAD9!

· Registered
1,894 Posts
How about Caad 9 on Campy Record grouppo ? would that be an ultimate bike ?

· Registered
136 Posts
zamboni said:
How about Caad 9 on Campy Record grouppo ? would that be an ultimate bike ?
If the best isn't good enough for you than, I'd say a Campy Record built CAAD9 would be the best...it sure beats the SRAM garbage. I fancy myself a Shimano guy...Dura-Ace all the way! I love the look and feel of Campy however, it is too much work and money. I see Dura-Ace as the answer to all my needs; it is smooth, light, looks great and nowhere near as expensive as the likes of Record or Red...we'll see how that changes with 7900.

· Registered
173 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what facts you're using in forming the opinion that Sram is "garbage". Sram Force is lighter than Dura Ace, and Rival is lighter than Ultegra SL (comparison here). Both Sram groups are cheaper than the Shimano alternative. Shimano doesn't really have an offering to compete with Sram Red. Sram shifting is solid and precise, hoods well shaped, and all cables are routed under the bars. The only place you *might* have an argument is with the cranks.

That being said, I like Shimano and have ridden some form of it on all my bikes. Shimano makes very good components. If you're going to make a generalized statement like that be prepared to back it up.

Cannondale makes great bikes. Enjoy the ride!

· Registered
1,536 Posts
To the OP, you said one of your first upgrades would be a thomson post and stem. While I would agree with the post upgrade, as the thomson is the best post out there, despite it not being carbon, if your CAAD 9 comes with the Cannondale "fire" stem, it is a pretty darn good stem. It is very light, around 125 grams I think, and it seems to be plenty stiff to me. I think there are wiser ways to spend your money than upgrading the stock stem. Just my .002.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My caad9 is still on the way...expected delivery date, June 16ish. I've got the deda supernaturals and zero100 stem for it also. I'm not sure about seatpost, thomson setback is a definite possibility, let me know how you like your deda one, Myles!!

· Registered
136 Posts
atrack24 said:
My caad9 is still on the way...expected delivery date, June 16ish. I've got the deda supernaturals and zero100 stem for it also. I'm not sure about seatpost, thomson setback is a definite possibility, let me know how you like your deda one, Myles!!
The Deda setup has been one of the best upgrades yet. Quite honestly, I chose the Deda SuperNatural handlebar and the Zero100 stem because it seemed like Thomson.it. They are 7075 aluminum, like Thomson, but have a cleaner, sleeker finish...not like it was machined from a chunk of aluminum. I ordered the SuperNatural because it had short and shallow dimensions...I ordered a 42, like the ControlTech that came on the CAAD9 however, when I got the bar, it was obviously narrower...Deda measures end to end, not center to center...my 42 Deda is actually a 40. No problem, I am actually more comfortable with the narrower bar, it ever so slightly readjusted my reach to be more comfortable and I can seem to open up my chest and breath freer.

Like I said, I love the Deda stuff...I switched my handlebar and stem at the same time, because they are 31.7...I didn't want to take a chance. I don't know if it was the stem or bar, or a combination of both but the overall stability of the bike has improved immensely. The front end of my CAAD9 is as stiff as I would ever want it. The increase in stiffness and inherently handling and control, was mind blowing...you will notice it before your first turn off your street on your ride. So, contrary to cyclust, I think the stem upgrade is worthwhile. I used the stock Cannondale C4 stem...I never had a problem but the Deda setup is appreciably better...you can't have a front end that is too stiff!

As for your seatpost, Thomson stuff is amazing; I like it as much as I like the Deda stuff. I am using a Thomson Elite in silver currently...zero offset. As far as setback, I like a little as it keeps my saddle neutral on its rails. On my zero offset, the clamp is all the way at the front of the rails. I scored this post from a friend, used, but will eventually be exchanged for a Deda Zero100 seatpost in dark metal polish to match the stem and handlebar. Cyclust also mentioned that the Thomson seatpost is amazing, short of being carbon...what does carbon have to do with it? For starters, a Thomson Elite is lighter than many carbon posts...it will not crack and fail and looks sweet. Oh, and ride quality? If your ride's quality is dependent on your seatpost, I'd consider a new frame! The CAAD9 is compliant and smooth for any means. Adding the Thomson from the Cannondale C2 carbon post was surprisingly pleasant. I wouldn't say the ride is any harsher however, I have enhanced road feel. As far as a seatpost suggestion, check your fit before deciding on a setback or offset post however, you can't go wrong with a Thomson. For about the same money, you can have the Deda which is as good as the Thomson and matches your stem and handlebar...Like I said

Deda Elementi = Thomson.it

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate the response. I saw that the Supernaturals are measured O-O so I ordered the 44's. I know for sure that a C-C 42 fits so I hope it is the same. Yea I guess I should get the bike before I decide on a seatpost. The Thomson setback is 16mm, not a huge amount, but I do not want to be back any further than I have to be. Not 100% in love with the bended post style, but for thomson quality its worth it. The masterpiece is under 200grams also for the 330mm length. The caad9 is a 27.2 seat tube size right? Other than that Im just really excited. I love that this whole set-up including my dt swiss wheels is under 2 grand.:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,894 Posts
The shimano Dura-Ace is not a bad grouppo but for me to pay 30% more for 7900 is not worth it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.