Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck making a decision to get a very slightly used Giant TCR Advanced 1. Here are some details:

The bike is in perfect condition and is available from someone I know/trust. I have no doubt that it is like new. It has a very good component set - Dura Ace and Ultegra. The wheel set could essentially be improved, but given the price, I could bump those up myself.

Here are my concerns:

The warranty on the frame is non-transferrable. Am I crazy for this to concern me?

I am an intermediate biker and I'm concerned that the frame is too aggressive for me. I mostly want to use this for recreational and century rides - not much racing for me. Is the stance on this bike unreasonable for such use?

The bike as an integrated seatmast. I've test ridden the bike and I'm certain it needs to be lowered for me, which isn't a problem. I've read that such an integrated seatmast can cause the bike to ride too rough especially on long rides. Again, am I worrying too much about such details?

The other bikes that I'm looking at are the Trek Madone 5.5 and the Felt Z25 - both have a more upright posture. The problem is I really have no standard of comparison for a more aero position. What should be my main decision points here?

Any help that someone can provide is GREATLY appreciated.

-Kirk

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
The TCR is a great bike but you have raised some very valid concerns. Have you ever been fitted to the bike (which is difficult with the integrated seat post). I ride a TCR but is has been fitted so it is not too aggressive, my back would not allow it. If I had to do it all over again I would pick a pick that is a little more relaxed but like you I got a heck of a deal and I really do love the bike, it just looks funny with a flipped up stem. If this is your first road bike, that is a heck of a good one to start with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick replies!

Thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. I appreciate it! To answer your questions:

This isn't my first road bike, but I have never had a true race bike. I'm really an intermediate biker and I'm looking to upgrade my old (10+ years) road bike to something lighter, newer, etc.

I have not been fit to this bike and the integrated seatmast makes that difficult. I've test ridden the bike and I know for sure that the seat is too high for me. Apparently I have about 5 inches of lowering ability left, so I'm sure this one can be adjusted.

I haven't asked the seller if he would be my proxy should something go wrong with the frame. That seems like a reasonable option, but it might be difficult if either of us relocates to a different area.

You're right that this bike would probably not have entered my radar except that I was referred to this one by a friend. As I mentioned, the two primary bikes I'm looking at are the Madone 5.5 and Felt Z25. Both could be classified as race bikes, but I'm guessing both have a much more upright posture than the TCR. Both of those bikes are 100% new from a reputable shop with a pro fit. Neither of them has an integrated seat mast, so fit should be easier.

As for making up my mind, I tend to sway back and forth. The Trek or Felt would be spectacular bikes - a definite step up from my 10+ year old Trek. Here's a link to the TCR showing the price - I might actually be able get it for cheaper than that, too. Once you see the specs and the price, you might understand better why I'm having a hard time deciding.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Giant-TCR-Advanced-1-Carbon-Road-Bike-58cm-M-L-NR_W0QQitemZ120400687626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bikes?hash=item120400687626&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"> Link </a>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts