Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm potentially going to go and buy a new (used) bike from a guy a few hours from me. It's a Lemond Zurich, a 2008 model with the min/max carbon frame.

I was just wondering what your opinion would be on it? (not lemond himself)

I find that these are a great buy since the brand is not around, people don't know much about them and don't search for them on Ebay etc.

Anyway, it's $1150 and equipped with 2007 Sram force shifters and brakes and 2008 Sram Force everything else. Thomson stem. Bontrager race wheels which I'll switch out for Mavic Ksyrium Elites that I already have. It's a 59cm and I already have a 59cm Lemond Filmore single speed which I love and fits perfect.

Great deal I think, just wanting some more advice/opinions before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've had a few of the Lemon Min-Max frames, and I think they are terrific frames. The design is great, with the super wide BB shell, thin seat stays, etc. I think they are one of the nicest frames that have been made. The lower and mide-rade models had heavy forks, but the Zurich should have a pretty decent one. They also have simply, classy graphics and paint schemes. And $1150 sounds like a pretty good price. The zurichs with Ultegra were retailing for around $2800 new, one with force should be pretty close to that.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I bought a NOS frame recently and built it up with an EC90SLX, Record/Chorus, Reynolds DV46ULT wheels. The frame fits me perfectly with the bit of extra cm placed at the TT. The bottom bracket has about as much defelction as my 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. I have a Chi-carb frame that is more responsive and stiller in the BB area. So, if you are a big rider you might get some chain rub on the FD when hammering or sprinting and might need to pay attention to the FD position or trim it a bit more than you normally do for a more ridgid BB area.

The fit and finish is wonderful and the bike looks stunning.

$1150 seems reasonable if it is in great condition or almost new. I think you may be able to talk him down, as $900-1,000 seems a better price with the components listed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I should mention that it also comes with Speedplay zero pedals which I could sell or ask him to take off and shave some money off. You think $1000 would be more reasonable?

The other bike I'm looking at locally is a 2004 Specialized Allez cromo. This one is a triple so I would want to take off probably all the ultegra components and sell them. The shimano wheels as well. I think he's asking $700 but I could offer him 6-650 and sell the components and build it up with Sram Force 2010 stuff for maybe around the same $$$

I'm a fan of steel bikes, having a steel 29er and the steel filmore, but am curious about how the carbon would ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went and road the Specialized Allez today and it's in great shape. It's got the old 9 speed Ultegra components (triple). He's only asking $720 for it. It's got a Thomson post and a cycling computer of some sort. I figure I could sell the Shimano R-540 wheels for 150-200 and sell the Shimano group for $250 and be at around $250 for the frame, fork, stem, seatpost and seat. Not bad for Columbus steel. That's probably the route I'm going to go. Something tells me its stupid to pass up the Lemond...I dunno

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree... I have a 08 Zurich and I love it. I put a crap ton of miles on it each year and race it quite a bit. I have been very very happy with the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright my dudes, last post before I make my decision, please respond asap with your final thoughts...(final answer? ...yes, final answer)

here are my thoughts, Lemond definitely a better bike though I know this dude rode the **** out of the bike compared to the Specialized which I know was the guys fathers and he didn't ride it at all (still has the spoke protector on the wheel and no marks on the frame)

The Lemond has a noticeable chip on the fork, and I'm sure has some other scratches and the Lemond is $400 more (can get a 2010 sram force kit for $800 on Ebay)

Now for pictures....

vs.

If you've already replied and you're sick of my shat feel free to just look at the pictures and say Lemond or Allez :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
First post here, want help a fellow cyclist out. The choice has to be the LeMond. Red shifters mean you'll have zero loss on both sides.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
And you can pretty easily get $100 for those Speedplay pedals on eBay. Or just use them, cause they're awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.